Edisto River Saturday

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished the last weekend in October and the whole thing didn’t go very well. I spent like 3 hours trying to catch some mullet here in Charleston for cut bait. Finally, after trying 3 different spots, I managed to get some mullet, so I took them, along with a couple of eels and a couple of gizzard shad that I had on ice and headed to the river. I didn’t have much time to try for live baits once I got there, and only got 2 sunfish. With the two sunfish and the variety of dead bait I fished for cats from dusk until like 3:00 AM and all I got was 3 small blue cats. I was pretty disgusted and decided that would be it for flatheads for this year for me.

Of course, though, I started thinking about cats again after about a week. That trip was the first warm day after a whole cold and very rainy week, so I thought maybe the rapid temp drop along with the river rise might have put the fish off. Last week here ended with 3 real nice warm days in a row, so even though there was a front coming through Friday night/Saturday, I decided to give it another try. The front wasn’t too rough, but it did get pretty windy mid day on Saturday and it was about 70, instead of the 80 or so of Thursday and Friday. The mullet were the top dead bait last time, so I cast net some more before leaving town and then headed to the Edisto. I spent a few hours trying to catch live baits, and I did better than last trip: this time I got 5!

Long story short – I got 8 flatheads (35, 21, and the rest 6 to 15 pounds) and 2 blue cats. Of the 5 live baits, I lost 1 on a snag, lost 1 to a missed strike, and caught flatheads on the other 3. I think the flatheads seemed to like the live baits a little better, but I did catch 5 flatheads on cut mullet, including the biggest. Basically, it seemed like they were willing to eat the cut bait, but the live bait might have been a little better for getting their attention. I gotta thank Danny (Stumphumper) for the tip on using the cut bait. I probably wouldn't have tried it if not for that. Cut mullet caught 5 of the 8 flatheads, including the biggest - the 35 that started things off - you can see the little chunk of mullet still on the hook in the first pic.

At the end of the night - about 1:00 AM, the only live bait I had left was a great big bluegill, so I put him on a 6/0 kahle and sent him down. He brought up the last fish of the night - the 21 pounder. That's him in the last pic (can you tell it was getting chilly?)

It was an absolutely gorgeous fall day and evening - clear and cool. Even saw a few
    shooting stars and listened to the hogs raising heck in the old impoundments. The geese were flying, too. Nothing like the sound of geese in flight to signal that fall is here for real.

Attached Files:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    By the way, the water temp was right at 60 degrees.

Daytime temp was about 70.

The night got down in to the upper 40's.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sounds like a nice trip man! That cut bait will certainly work for the flatheads, 4 of the largest 5 I've ever caught have come on cut bait and every one of those "never get 'em turned" fish all went for the cut bait. However, even though I fish tidal rivers I've never caught the first fish on mullet, what size were you using and I assume you were using them cut in chunks not just whole with the tail cut off. Once again, good night, and I'm sure if you're like me you'll be out there for at least one more trip before Thanksgiving:wink:

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here's the graph of water temps (not where I was fishing, but the trends are the same).

I really think that this was the key to catching fish this time.

At the end of a hard cooling trend the fish were turned off. After a few days of warming, they were happy and hungry.

Attached Files:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What I had was just a few mid size mullet (like about a foot long), so I just filleted them and cut the fillets in chunks.

I would say I'm done for the season, but you know how it is - "one last trip" is a lot like "one last cast." One more. One more. One more ...:wink:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well done, as usual!! Thanks for the report!
    Bill in SC

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great job John I m glad you got back on the fish. I hope to get back on them at the river a few more times myself before the winter.