Edisto River Saturday

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by JAinSC, Apr 16, 2007.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My Buddy Tim and I went to the Edisto on Saturday. With the cold spell lately, the water temp was still at 67 - just the same as 2 weeks ago.

It was windy as heck all day (and night) and there was a nasty front with thunderstorms and all forecast to come through late Saturday night, but we figured we could get a trip in before the bad weather hit.

Fishing for baits was still pretty slow, but we managed to collect a fair number of bluegills and redbreast sunfish with our little spinners, although the wind made boat control a bit interesting.

The clouds increased all day, so it was overcast by late afternoon. With the stormy weather we decided to set up for cats a bit early. Good thing we did. We anchored up around 7:30 and the first 4 baits we put in the water all got hit. First I pulled in a little flathead - maybe 3 pounds. A few minutes later Tim got another cute pup, maybe a tiny bit bigger than mine: we'll call it 4 pounds. As he was releasing this fish his other rod bent down. He had his hands full with a good fish, so I got out my gloves and all to get ready to land it. As I was doing that, my second rod got hit, but unfortunately the fish got the bait off without hooking up. I grabbed his fish by the jaw and dragged it over the gunwhale. He measured the fish (49" long by 32.5" girth as I recall) and we weighed it (52 pounds) while I got out my little digital camera. He held the fish up and I lined up the shot and pushed the button and it flashed and ... went dead. The batteries died. I went through every little flashlight in the boat and searched all through my bag. No new batteries, and the camera wouldn't opperate with the ones from the lights. Finally, I decided to put the original batteries back in the camera and it came on. He held the fish up again and I managed to get a picture. We fished that spot for another while, but got no more hits. I guess we just met them as they came out to play.

We tried another spot across and down river a little bit as the flood tide was topping out. Unfortunately, we were in the wind there and after getting blown around for a while (got one blue cat - maybe 8 to 10 pounds), we moved back to the lee bank. The constant back and forth swing of the boat put a lot of slack in the lines, and I was just not confident fishing that way.

We set up on the next spot on the first of the ebb tide, and I put out two anchors (bow and stern) just to make sure the boat would stay put. I got out the beanbag and laid down to take it easy. Everything was real quiet (except for the wind roaring through the trees) until about 11PM, when my back rod got hit. That bait had been pretty quiet, not shaking the rod much, just a few tugs now and then so I knew he was still alive. I was laying with my head right near the rod holder and I heard one sharp whack. I got up on my knees and turned around and watched the rod - I knew what was coming! There was a good 5 second pause, but then the rod started to slowly bend down. I grabbed it out of the holder and set the hook, which apparently ticked off the fish, because he took off down river. He took maybe 50 feet of line and then settled down a bit. Once I got him under control I started working him back up to the boat. That's when my other rod bent over. Tim took the second rod and worked that fish to the boat, then handed it to me so that he could land the first fish. I brought the second fish up and he grabbed that one too and pulled it aboard. We hadn't had any hits for 3 hours and then put 2 nice fish in the boat within moments of each other. The first fish was 55 pounds and the second was just under 30. We released the smaller fish right off, then I held the bigger one in the water for a few minutes while Tim tried again to get the camera going. No luck. So we didn't manage to get a picture of my fish, but that's OK. Two fish over 50 is a darn good night in my book.

We kept fishing for a bit, but pretty soon we felt the wind seem to turn a bit. Then lightning started to flash in the clouds. We tossed the remaining baits and packed up. Back at the landing we got the last bit of gear in the truck just as it was starting to rain lightly, and it was pouring down before we were a mile down the road.

The last of the wild azaleas were finishing their bloom. A few bats flew around the rod tips, and an ocasional owl called in the swamp while fireflies flashed along the riverbank.

Once I download the picture of Tim's fish I'll try to get it downsized so I can post it. Might be a day or two.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sounds like u had a good time.

3. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Were you using all live bait or some cut? I've never fished the Edisto. Whaer do you guys put in and what type of area are you looking for? Thanks in advance.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Live bait all the way. I've caught a few flatheads on cut bait in the Santee, but not in the Edisto. Might just be because I never fish cut bait in the Edisto...

Sorry, but I'm not going to tell you the landing. You might figure it out for yourself, and thet'a fine, but I'm a bit protective of the fishing. Most of the spots I fish are pretty typical deeper water along the bank, keeping the baits far enough out to avoid the snags.

5. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    That was a great story! I bet ya'll had a great time and congrats on that whopper cat! Thanks for sharing.:big_smile:

6. Santee

Santee New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Thanks for the help.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here's a picture of Tim's fish. I got one later in the evening that was almost a twin, maybe a couple of pounds bigger.

Attached Files:

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great report John those are some really nice flatties and I am glad someone is catching them in the rivers. The river I fish, Big Pee Dee, the big flatheads dont seem to biting yet the biggest one I have caught was a 27lber but mostly 3-10lbs. Keep up the good work.

9. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Thanks John for such a great detailed story, I love hearing good fish stories like that. That sounded like a great time! Thanks for the pic also, she looked huge!

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I must have missed something. I though the #1 purpose of this site was to "share" information?

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Forgive me. I think I already shared quite a bit of information. I will tell everyone what I used for bait, or describle my rigs in detail, or even tell how I choose spots to fish, but I don't think it is unreasonable to keep my specific fishing holes to myself. The Edisto is not a very big river, and I believe that someone could put a pretty serious dent in the flathead population in an area if they wanted to. Actually, if someone wants to read between the lines and piece the information together, they could figure out the section of river I am fishing to within few miles.

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with Edisto fishing. I just thought not revealing the landing was unusual. I was thinking about me catching a world record cat in the Santee, Congaree or Pee Dee and them refusing to say which landing I put in at..........

Again, I'm not familiar with where you fish and maybe there's not many places you can go from the landing.

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My reasoning was pretty simple. There are a lot of landings on the Edisto - generally one every 4 to 8 miles I would guess. I figure that if I tell the landing, then that puts the reader right on my favorite stretch of river.

14. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report.Sounds like you had a good time.