Edisto River Saturday night 9/13/08

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Sep 15, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Water temp was 85 degrees at dusk.

I replaced the plug on my trolling motor, so that's working again. You really start to realize how much you depend on a piece of equipment when it's not working. Catching sunfish is a whole lot easier with a working trolling motor. I spent the afternoon beating the banks and caught a nice batch of mostly redbreast sunfish (with a few bluegills) for baits.

I set up about 7:30 PM at my first spot for flatheads and hooked up by 8:00. I got a good look at the fish when it surfaced the first time - a flathead about 15 pounds, but unfortunately the hook pulled after that, so I didn't get to land that one.

Next stop was a new one for me - a steep bank where a couple of trees blew down and washed away last year, leaving a bit of an opening in the trees hanging over the river. My first cast there landed a gar. I figured that if that kept up I'd go elsewhere, but that was followed by two flatheads, one 15 and one 24 pounds. There's a couple of pics of the bigger fish. He had a neat sort of camo pattern, maybe I'll send it off to "Realtree" and see if they like it.

They stopped biting there, so I moved on. I got a smaller flathead (about 6.5) in the next spot, but then the action seemed to die. I fished the area where my buddy got the 44 two weeks ago, but nothing. While I was there a couple of DNR Officers that were out patrolling for the Alligator hunting season stopped by to check on me. Fortunately, I was all legal.

Between 11PM and 3AM, I tried like 5 other spots and got nothing but a couple of blue cats. Blues are great fish, but when I'm sitting there with a live sunfish on the hook in the middle of the night, it's not blue cats that I'm looking for. I was planning on making an early night of it, but I wanted one more fish! Around 3:00 I decided I had one more spot left in me. The tide was getting toward late ebb, so I theorized (I do that sometimes while I'm fishing - I theorize this and I theorize that...) I theorized that maybe the low and dropping water would be pulling the fish down out of the sloughs and away from the shallower weedy edges.

I happened to be near a little channel that drains just such an area, and then runs right under a fallen cypress, so I went and set up there with tow baits near the fallen tree and one nearer the bank. After I was there for a bit, I released the rest of my baits and started packing up. That's when the rod nearest the bank went down! The fish turned out to be a nice little 11 pound flattie (got a picture of him on deck - kind of a uniform mustard color). I got that "one last fish" - a bonus - so I was happy, and packed up to head for home.

It was a beautiful night with a full moon in the sky and a bunch of bats doing loops around the boat.

Attached Files:

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats,a good night i would say,lol

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Nice story and great looking pictures. Thanks for sharing John, it's appears you are having a great year with the best to come "" fall fishing"" reps to ya Brother.

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Great work! Congrats on a very successful evening of Flathead huntin.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice Flathead.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Must have been a off night, John.

Don't see any 50lbers.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah Blacky, that's what I thought, too. :wink:
    I must be slipping.

At the end (at about 3:00 AM) on the late ebb, I probably should have gone back down river a few miles to the spot that has produced a couple of good fish this year. I told the wife I'd be home around 3, though. She is used to me being an hour or two late, but beyond that she starts to worry a bit (go figure?). Besides, I wanted to get a little sleep before I tried to act human on Sunday.

Thanks.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, that was a great report John! Thanks for the pictures and story.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great day on the water, congrats and good luck in the future