Edisto River Saturday 4/25

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Apr 28, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    (water temp 70.4 deg F at dusk)
    Finally got to hit the river after flatheads for the first time this season.

The Edisto is still running pretty high, so I was a little worried about getting sunfish for baits. Turns out I did pretty well. The tide was right: I fished for baits either side of low, getting about 25: a mix of redbreast, bluegills and spotted sunfish. Almost all of them came from the sloughs, rather than the main river. I guess that makes sense: the sloughs have a bit more water and a bit of current and are a bit warmer than the main river now, while the main river is ripping along.

I only got two flatheads, but they were pretty good ones. Right around dusk I got a 33. Then no more bites, so I started moving around, and even rode down river a ways trying down there, but couldn't scratch up another flattie (did get a few smallish blues along the way).

Finally, about 3:00 AM I decided to try one more spot on the way back to the landing. I was on a bit of a break where the sandy shallows dropped into the deeper side. I tossed baits in all directions, including one on the deep side on my "heavy" rod (muskie stick with Abu 6500 spooled with 20 pound Big Game mono). I wasn't there for long when that rod bent over double. The late ebb tide was ripping along through pretty good, and I always wondered, whenever I fished around there, what it would be like to get a good fish in that heavy current. Well, I found out. Let's just say I was glad he was on the big rod. As I was fighting this fish, one of my other rods went down. Fortunately the good fish I was fighting stayed clear of the other rods, but this other hooked fish proceeded to take out the other two lines. The hardest part was landing the fish: it was hard to get him far enough up current to get a hold of him. Finally I did get a grip on his lower jaw and haul the fish aboard. I then grabbed the other rod and brought that fish in as quickly as possible (a blue cat about 8 pounds) - along with a nasty slimy tangle of three lines, three leaders, three sinkers, and three hooks. Got a quick picture with the fish, measurements (49" long x 32" girth), a weight (51 pounds), and then snapped one more shot while holding him in the current to revive a bit. I'm glad I stuck it out until 3:30; it paid off with a very nice fish.

Overall it was a beautiful day and evening with great weather (no-see-ums were pretty bad, though - thank goodness for Thermacell), flowers blooming along the banks, owls and several species of frogs calling (including the bullfrogs), and enough shooting stars to make the stargazing interesting.

Attached Files:

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Frickin awesome!!!! Great job man. :cool2:

Won't let me rep ya until i pass some around. You definitley deserve some rep.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Another great report John. Congrats on the big Flathead!

4. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I always love reading your posts John, thanks. Congratulations on the nice big Flat. I am sure it was fun untangling that mess!

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    great fish.. thanks for the report

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great job, John. Thanks for posting.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    No untangling. I just saved what I could (the hooks, swivels, sinkers), and cut out everything else. I respooled one of the rods last night. The other two didn't loose much line.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Great story, John!

A fish of any size will fight twice as hard using the current/tide.

Again, thanks for making it look too easy. Now I feel like a chump!:cool2:

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Awesome fish brother!! I'm hoping and praying for one like that:wink: Congratulations on another heck of a fish.