Edisto River in south carolina?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by ron16, May 22, 2009.

1. ron16

ron16 New Member

State:
    Pelion, South C
    I have never done much river fishing but I live fairly close to a boat launch on the Edisto. Has anyone had much luck on this river? Any advice would be great.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Depending on where you live, Ron, the Edisto has some great fishing, bluegill, redbreast, Flathead Catfish, etc. I've never fished there, myself, but there are some members who do, and I'm certain they will offer advice.

3. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Ron I dont fish there alot but when I do we do ok.The edisto can be alot of fun. You can use worms,shrimp and hot dogs. Last year we were using hot dogs and worms,caught a bunch of cats and alot of eels.Go give it a shot you and your son will have alot of fun.:big_smile::big_smile:

4. ron16

ron16 New Member

State:
    Pelion, South C
    Troy, I live in Pelion (Lexington County) and have at least 2 places where I could put in. You say you caught a bunch of catfish and eels. What on earth did you do with th eels? Can the be eaten or just used for cut bait? If eaten, how do you clean/ cook them?

5. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    catch the eel put him on the hook live or cut up dont eat them let the cats eat them. then u eat the cats cats are better eatin never eat eel and not gonna try either

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can eat eels. My brother and I used to gig them for my Grandmother. She loved them, but I never got around to eating one. I think she would just cut them into lengths (like sausage links) and saute them in a pan. I have heard tell that the pieces wiggle a bit as they cook.

The upper reaches of the Edisto hold a lot of sunfish and small channels. The channles respond well to worms and shrimp. For a bit bigger cats, fish around dusk, after dark, or around dawn with cut sunfish (basically just not daylight). Heads are generally good.

7. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    The S. Edisto from Aiken S.P. to Springfield has some good fishing. The larger flatties have really started showing up in that area over the last couple of years. Not as many as down in the big river, but they are there.

8. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Ron, many years ago myself and some buddies were bank fishing on the little Pee Dee river and all we could catch seemed like was eels, we thought we were catching the same ones over and over, so we just started throwing them behind us in the woods, well my dad came down to see how we were doing, told him about the eels and he almost had a fit, went to his truck and got a bucket and told us to save all the eels, well we almost filled it up, he skinned them, gutted them, cut them into 3" pieces and fried 'em like catfish, and although I was really skeptical, I tried one and they were sweeter than the cats we caught. My dad grew up not wasting anything (when they slaughtered a hog, the only thing they threw away was the squeal):smile2:.

9. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Yes you can eat them they taste just like fish.They are also good bait for catfish.We freeze them hole and use them for shark bait,they love em.:roll_eyes:

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I sure wish you could catch eels like that around here still but I think the catfish took a liken to them so they are hard to find.:smile2: