Edisto River Friday

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Oct 23, 2006.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had a great afternoon and night on the river. I was hoping for one of those near-perfect fall days, and I sure got lucky.

I hit the river about 2PM and started casting my little spinner rig. Within an hour I had most of my 30 fish limit of baits - mostly redbreast with a few each of bluegills and spotted sunfish. After that, I kind of poked around here and there until near sunset, and filled in the livewell with a few more baits.

Since I had the baits early, I decided to run well downriver and start fishing for flats at a real deep hole that I have been wanting to try fishing in the fall. With the water back up to 73 degrees, I'm not sure I should really count this as a "fall" trip, but I went down there anyway. My first spot I caught a 16.5 pound flathead before the blue had faded from the sky. After that I lost a couple of rigs on snags, and did not catch anything for a while. With as low as the river is, it may well have been a bit salty there.

I started to work my way back up river, still fishing the deeper holes, around 22 feet of water, and started to get a flathead or two each time I anchored up. It seemed like they were biting well, but not moving around a lot. A couple of times after the bites died, I moved just about 50 yards and then hooked up again almost immediately. I ended up with 12 flatheads for the night: 16, 42, 9, 5, 10, 8, 11, 4, 28, 18, 5, 7 (rounded to nearest whole number). All were released to grow and be caught again, hopefully by me.

About 11PM the Orionid meteors started. Part of why I love flathead fishing is because I like to just kick back and look up at the stars. When it's cloudy so I can't see the stars, I'm just not a happy camper. Friday night was nice and clear, and those shooting stars were a great addition to the usual stargazing - I probably saw a couple of dozen.

At one point a Barred Owl flew around the back of the boat and then landed in a small tree on the river bank, not 30 feet from me. He sat there and watched me for about 15 minutes, before flying off. Maybe I should have tossed him a brim?

A couple of things happened that I know would have freaked out my wife or son. Mary has always had a thing about stuff under the water that she can't see. If she's in a boat that bumps a rock or log, it kind of gets to her. One of the large clumps of reeds flaoting down the river hit the front of the boat as I was quietly reclining watching the stars. I don't mind telling you that the little bump followed by the creaky scratchy noises as the reeds slid under the hull - well they got my blood pumping for a few minutes. Mary would have been screaming and wimpering to go home right there and then. At another spot some hogs were squealing off in the brush. That's a pretty eerie noise in the middle of the night, and it made me a bit uneasy. Considering that my son sometimes comes into our bedroom at night complaining about the normal (to me) noises of a house, like a tree brushing the house on a windy night, I suspect that would have had him in hysterics. The fact that I'm out in the river in a boat gives me a lot of comfort. I figure nothing can get to me without a good deal of splashing to warn me they're coming. I don't know how some of you folks can sit on the river bank out in the woods all night. I'd have to have a nice campfire going to keep off the chills (and I don't mean from the cold).

Anyway, it was a great night. If the weather cooperates and the water hasn't gotten too cold, I just may have to try and fish around the new moon (the 20th) in November, since the Leonid meteors coincide (17-22).