Edisto River: Did you know...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The Edisto River is the longest completely undammed / unleveed blackwater river in North America, flowing 206 meandering miles from its sources in Saluda and Edgefield counties, to its Atlantic ocean mouth at Edisto Beach, SC.

BB in SC

2. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Cool info!! Thanks

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Bill i fished it a few years back in hopes of a large flathead. Didnt get one that day but want to do again. River is a little more narrow up at 95 where we put in.
    It is a beautiful place until the jet fighters did a tree top fly over that scared the crap out of us.:crazy:

4. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Great info Bill! Thanks for sharing!

Steve R.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yes I knew that. I also know it has alligators from Aiken to the ocean.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    drove by edisto beach friday. yes im back in SC again for the weekend. bout to head on back to fl in a couple hours

7. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    The fighters will spook ya every now and then, but ain't it cool?!? Some days are like an air show!

The Edisto has some narrow stretches, but generally below hwy 78 can be navigated with caution, except in low water conditions. Look for 1.5' or better on the Givhans guage for the lower sections of the main stem. If the river gets wide, SLOW DOWN, it's shallow. If it gets narrow, SLOW DOWN, lots of wood.

There are no big flatties or blues here! Don't waste your time unless looking for mudfish and bullheads....:wink:

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    There are no big flatties or blues here! Don't waste your time unless looking for mudfish and bullheads....:wink:[/QUOTE]

:crazy: Thats not what i heard!

9. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    If you have seen gators between Aiken and Jacksonboro then you have see a rare sight! I have seen a few myself, but most people will say I'm crazy! I'm from Aiken originally and live in Summerville now. I have floated from Aiken to Edisto beach at least twice a year for over 20 years and have only seen one or two before hwy 17. For the last 12 years I have been on the river from hwy 78 to the coast at least twice a week and can count on one hand how many gators I've seen above hwy 17.

10. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Lindsay, when you're ready to try 'em again just let me know.

11. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Might have to take you up on that sometime. However since I moved from Florence, I dont get that far south that often.
    I like to lake fish but love river fishing. Nothing like being out on the river seeing the wildlife and without all the boat traffic you see up here.
    I am glad it is getting cold and most the casual boaters, skiers and jet skiers start doing other things.:smile2:

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Y'all know I love my Edisto. Stump is right, though, nothing but mullet and mudfish.:wink:

I had heard that before about it being the longest free flowing black water river, but I wonder how the Altamaha got disqualified? Is it dammed at some point? Because I am pretty sure that it is longer. Maybe it dows not qualify as "black water" for some reason?