Edisto River 8/6/08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by stumphumper, Aug 7, 2008.

1. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Put in around 6 pm and after a quick swim to cool off I loaded the livewell with baits fairly quick. I set up about 30 min. before dark in the mouth of a deep pond that borders a 20' hole at a sharp bend in the river. Around 9:30 I got the first real bite of the evening, 31 lbs flathead. After that the action really picked up. I lost several fish due to operator erorr. I kept forgetting that I had circle hooks (only large hooks I could find) and tried to set the hook a couple of times out of habit. The real dissappointment of the night was getting a look at one close to twice the size of the 31 pounder and losing it while trying to get the other rods out of the way.

Final tally: 1-31lbs, 6- 8 to 10lbs.

BTW, I was treated to the sight of several sturgeon jumping completely out of the water. One so close that he gave me a shower.

Attached Files:

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Congrats on the catch. Nice fish. Beautiful river picture.
    Thanks for the post!
    Big

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You're on 'em, man! Dang, I'm gonna have to hit the Edisto one of these days!
    Thanks for the report! Gotta love the circles though. Just let the rod load up and start reeling!
    BB in SC

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Nice fish. I hope to fish the Edisto one of these days.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Danny sounds like I better come down there and help you get those rods out of the way while you reel in those big boys.:smile2: Congrats on your catch and no vehicle damage.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on another great night of fishing. Thanks for the post and pics.

7. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What part of the Edstol River did you fish, I just moved to Ladson fron NC Last Dec and been debating on going and giving it a try. Also have you heard of any big cats in the Ashly River/

8. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Thanks fellas. I appreciate all the support and advice. Any and all are welcome to come on down and join me any time. I'm always happy to introduce new people to my favorite body of water. BTW- The winter time striper and bass fishing can be absolutely phenomenal!!!

David- I was fishing below Jellico's landing on hwy 17-A. Are you looking for bank or boat access? As for the Ashley. My kids walk down to the landing at the end of Ladson rd. every now and then and catch a few small ones. I have put in there before just to get a quick fix when free time was limited, but only to bass fish. One word of caution. I believe it to be the nastiest river in the area. All of the canals on this side of Summerville dump the storm water runoff there.

9. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info I just moved to Ladson in Dec and all ive fished pretty much the lake and the cooper river. The Edistol River reminds me of a river in NC and i would like to fish it soon for Flatheads. As for the ashley river i didnt know how nasty it is Ive ate Black Drum and Crabs from there but all my catfish i eat is from Lake Moultrie and the cooper river. I try to satisfy my needs for catching catfish there becuse i live so close but my biggest blue has only been 16 pounds. But i catch alot when we go. Maybe after this weekend we can get together and do some fishing at the edistol I have a 14 foot john boat so I can navigate any small river I never fish from the bank. Good luck to all fishing the peedee this weekend i wish i could make it.