Edisto River 10/17-18

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by stumphumper, Oct 20, 2008.

1. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    I didn't decide to go until the last minute, so got to the landing at 8:30 pm. There was a little party going on with some shady looking characters, so I headed up the road to Mars Oldfield. Finally got in the water around 10:00. I didn't have any live baits so I put out cut shad and louisianna pinks. For the first two hours the action was pretty good with channels on the pinks.Then the rain and lightning hit and they quit, but the blues and flatties started hitting. After several hang ups I finally managed to boat the big fish of the night. A 21 lbs flat. The action was pretty steady through the night and shut off about 30 min. before daybreak. Ended up with 3 Flats between 3 & 5 lbs. The 21 pounder. 17 channels from "squealer" to 6 lbs. 1 blue at 4 pounds.

The water was 69 degrees and the river was on a steady fall. Nothing like what the PD boys have to deal with, but pretty drastic by Edisto standards. I would guess around 6-8 inches over night.

BTW- I caught several eels and put them out both live and cut with no takers.

2. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Decided to go at the last minute and didn't get to the landing until 8:30 pm. Some shady characters were having a little party so I went up river to Mars Oldfield. Finally got put in and set up around 10. No live baits so I put out some Louisianna Pinks and cut shad. The Channels were biting fast and furious, but that was it. The rain started around 2:00 am along with a pretty nasty light show, and shortly after that I did have 3 really strong knock downs over an hour or so on the shad. Not a nibble the rest of the night.

Totals: 17 channels from "squealer - 2 lbs. = Good eatin' !!!!!!

Water temp 71 deg. Fallling pretty hard, around 6" over night. ( not much for you PD fellas, but drastic for us )

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good fishing trip, congrats and good luck in the future

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Danny,
    Thanks for the post report and for the PM. The weather is looking pretty wet and cold again this weekend (and I'm too much of a wuss to sit in a boat in the dark in the rain for very long), but I am going to do my best to get out there some time around the new moon. I did some trout/redfishing this past Sunday in the wind, but this weather has me itching to go after flatheads. Figures: the weather's been just perfect the last couple of days and the rain's back in the forecast for the weekend...

5. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Fellas- If you look a few post down you will find the complete recap of this trip. I thought about not mentioning everything due to giving out too many details about my location. I decided against that and thought I was editing my post and actually somehow re-posted. I appoligize. it's not that I don't trust anyone on here, but I have posted on other forums before only to find 4 or 5 boats in my exact spot the next time I went.