Edisto last Saturday with Cuda Cada

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Jun 3, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I apologize, this is going to be long, but I think the story is worth telling...

Bob (Cuda Cada) came up from Fla. Saturday morning so we could spend the day and night fishing the Edisto together for flatheads.

We had some subs at the landing for lunch and then headed up river to start catching sunfishes for baits. Bob cast crickets under a float and a beetle spin (with the local favorite white w/ red spot tail) while I cast my little home-made spinners and we got a good mess of mostly redbreast with stumpknockers and bluegills mixed in.

In the evening the tide was getting high enough that catching any more baits got tough, so we set up early for cats - around 7:30. (There's a pic of Bob hard at work as we wait on a catfish.) At dusk I got a little blue cat, and then lost a fish that got into a snag after taking the bait and heading back at the boat. After that, things got real slow. By 11:00 I was getting worried. Did my buddy come all the way from Florida on a dead night with no fish biting? Even the owls were strangely quiet.

There's a tree that fetched up in the middle of a sand flat that we noticed earlier and we decided to give it a try. We figured maybe a fish or two would be hiding around it. I anchored upstream of the tree and put a bait in front of the trunk and one out to the side. Bob did the same: one bait near the root ball and one off the the other side of the boat - on the sand. I no more go the words out of my mouth "well, if there's anything here, we should know pretty quick" when I hooked up. Bob put on his gloves, but before he could land my fish, his rod (with the bait off in the middle of the sand) bent over. I landed my own little flat (about 11 pounds) and then Bob's nice fat 34 pounder (42" x 26.5"), according to him, his 2nd best fish in two years. The night was looking up! (Pic of Bob with this fish.)

At the next spot, Bob hooked up again with another good fish, just slightly longer and fatter than the last, at 43.5" x 29" and 39 pounds. This was now Bob's best fish in two years! ('Nother pic of bob with this fish.)

We worked our way down river when there were no more bites and fished above a snag that sits on the edge of deep water. I'm in the back of the boat, and again put a bait right in front of the snag and one deep off its tip. Bob puts one shallow and one deep beside the boat. And again, I hook up within minutes. And again, before Bob can land my little flathead (another 11 pounder) his outside rod loads up. Since Bob was taking so much time fighting his fish, I tossed a bait right back and caught another little flathed (7 pounds) and then a little blue, all while waiting on Bob's fish. When that fish came to the surface, though, we saw that it was worth the waiting. Eventually I got a hold of its lower jaw and Bob and I hauled it over the gunwhale. This was a brute of a beautiful flathead! 53 inches long with a 35" girth. I'll be totally honest here - my scale said 30 to 30.5 Kilos (66-67 pounds) and Bob's said 70 pounds. He tested his scale at work yesterday and found it was a bit light. I just tested mine, too and at 30 kg it was about a kilo light. Any way you look at it, the fish was at least 68 pounds (and a new personal best for Bob)! (The pics of this fish are in the next post.)

Well, the rest of the night was pretty quiet. I got another even smaller flathead (5 pounds) at that spot, and then my best for the night (15.5 lbs) in the same area a while later.

We ended up fishing spots over the course of the night.

Let me make one thing clear. Over the course of the night, I caught 5 flatheads and at least that many blues (all probably 3 to 8 pounds). Bob caught three catfish. The way I see it, I caught about 4 times as many cats as Bob did, therefore I must be a four times better catfisherman that he is. Right?

By the way, I think Bob now has a bit more confidence in the ability of his "light" rods to handle a good fish (with 25 pound test Ande - Ande? Who fishes Ande? I'm a Big Game man myself), as long as there's room to fight the fish (which he did very well, obviously).

Attached Files:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here are the shots of the big fish.

1. Bob with his fish (looks pretty happy, doesn't he?)

2. A "head shot"

3. Next to the boat, just before the release

Attached Files:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here's the ending to a great trip. An Edisto River dawn.

Attached Files:

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Again, awesome report John.

You make catching the monsters look so easy.

I use Ande line, it's the best mono for saltwater.

As for your friend, I hope he got Flathead Fever.

5. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Great story-Great fish

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not to worry, Bob's been a flathead addict for years!

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for sharing a great story and pictures. that's a beautiful river there!

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks for sharing, nice story and wow what a fish. Still hoping to get my first of the year.
    :crazy:

9. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Awesome post John! Thanks for the detailed report as well, it means so much more when we can hear the whole story of a monster like that one being caught.

Tell Bob congratulations! That is one heck of a flathead.

10. Motormaker

Motormaker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great story and nice fish

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great story and a awesome flathead thanks for sharing.

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Man that sounds like fun!!!

Awsome job on such a spectacular fish..
    * I am suprised she did not run you into that snag with such light line...

~ I think that is a line class record.. I may be mistaken, but I think it is.. I would send in a C&R record to the freshwater fishing hall of fame in Hayward...

Thanks!

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    John you are the flathead man. You always seem to come thru with at least 1 hammer. I dont know why you were even worried about not catching 1.