Edisto last Saturday (w/meteors)

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Nov 22, 2006.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I checked a schedule for meteor showers months ago, and when I learned that the Leonid meteors were supposed to go off around the new moon in November, I figured I had to fish then.

My fishing partner, Tim, and I hit the river Saturday around 1 pm. I ran up river a few miles and we started banging the bank with spinners trying to catch brim for baits. Last time I was there (October 20th) I got a mess of redbreast and bluegills. This time nothing! After a couple of hours I had caught nothing but a little largemouth. We headed down river a bit and tied to a dock that held baits last year. We put on bits of worm on tiny jig heads and started fishing straight down from the rod tip under the dock. That did the trick. They were bioting real light, but we got about 15 baits there. Then we moved down to the bridge and caught another 6 or 8 there the same way.

Given the time of year and water temp (59), we headed right down to the first deep hole at dusk. The water's not super cold, but it cooled down a few degrees pretty quick last week, so I think that slowed down the bite some. We moved around qite a bit and fished until about 2:30 AM and got a total of 9 flatheads, but nothing big. Tim got the most fish (6) and the biggest (about 12 pounds). He also got a decent blue cat of about 15 pounds.

The shooting stars were OK, but now what I was hoping for. We probably saw a couple of dozen, but only one real good one. Most were quick and pretty dim.

We might have left the river a bit sooner, but the mist on the water developed into a pretty good fog a bit after midnight. We had to idle up along the bank for a couple of miles. At the last anchor spot (actually, we tied to a sunken tree) the fog would even close in enough from time to time so that the stars would go all soft focus and then disappear.

We saw a small flock of turkeys at the landing when we got there, and a bunch of wood ducks on the river (not near as many as I saw in October, though). After dark we heard the pigs rooting and snorting in the old rice fields and the owls calling (both barred owls and another that did a soft "hoooot, hoot hoot" call). There was also something - must have been some kind of bird - that made a sound just like a ray gun from a sci fi show. Made Tim and I crack up laughing every time we heard it. Wonder what that was?

All in all a good trip. I just found out that the Geninid meteors (peaking around Dec 14) are supposed to be a way better show (many more and more showy meteors). That a bit late in the season for flatheads, though, and I bet it would be pretty darn chilly on the river by then. We were both chilled through by the time we left the river Saturday night. Who knows. I said this would be my last flathead trip of the year, but maybe if the weather is good ...

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Wow after reading that report I felt like I was there with you. Thanks.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks. I try to be fairly complete with the info, AND the color commentary.