Edisto 7/18

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Jul 20, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went to the river to do some sunfishing and flat cat fishing this Saturday. The sunfishing was a bit slow, but I got about 18 on my little beetle spins.

Water temp was right around 85 degrees at dusk as I set out some live redbreast for the cats. It was a pretty evening with lots of bats flying around the river and swooping in around the rod tips now and then. Heard several barn owls wheezing in trees near the river bank. (Did a post of some pretty sunset shots in the general disc section if anyone's interested.)

I ended up getting 5 flatheads, which is a good night for me, but nothing real big (4, 8, 10, 16.5 and 20 pounds).

I don't know if it is the time of year, or recent pictures of big flatheads in the Fish'n and Hunt'n rag or articles in other mags or what, but there were several boats out setting limblines. I know I have no more right to the fish than anyone else, but I do get awful protective of my little buddies. I'm probably the only person in the area that releases catfish. My favorite stretch of river had about 30 limblines in maybe a mile of riverbank. Worst part is that most (I'm sure some are good, clean-up-after-themselves types) of these guys either abandon the lines and hooks and all, or just cut off the hooks and leave the strings hanging there along with strips of flagging tape or whatever else they used to mark the tree.

Oh well. Enough whining. Soon the weather will cool down and they will all go hunting instead.

I have attached a picture of the big fish of the night, the 20 pounder, so you can all have a good laugh at my foolish face. :crazy: Don't know why I tend to do that with my eyes - guess maybe the self-timer flash surprises me?

Attached Files:

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    nice catch, ya look like a deer in headlights in that pic,:smile2:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

4. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Good report. I bet that article did have something to do with all the new activity along that section of river. Hope it isn't like that all the time from now on. Looking forwards to you coming down...

5. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congrats John on a good night of fishing! I'm not a big fan of setlines either, especially when irresponsible people are out running them! Thanx for the great pic-big eyes and all!:smile2:

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like a great night! Look like a frog needs giggin!

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good one, John!

Looks like you just saw a ghost or a very elderly lady naked:smile2:!:cool2:

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  9. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    haha.. i probably look like that too with a nice cat.

yea i agree on the set lines.. i wish they would outlaw them entirely and everyone go to hook and line, that being said though there was a time when i was younger and all about the trotlines and bush lines... this was before i knew how much fun it could be on the end of a rod, now that ive gotten where my catch rate is much better then it used to be i have no use for set lines and trotlines. Maybe some liberal limits on how many hooks per person would be a start.

Ive been to parts of santee where the locals told me that they were illiegal in any part of the lake and i would be written up and fined for using them! I tend to see where they were coming from now, i think enough people fish for cats today that if we dont catch and release we could realistically cut the population out to nothing.