Ediso in South Carolina Sunday 5/24

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, May 26, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My buddy Tim and I hit the river Sunday.

The forecast included a whole lot of rain (what's new), but we figured we would give it a try. As it turns out, we only got a few sprinkles during the afternoon, and even saw a few stars after the sun went down.

The bait (sunfish) fish was tough. We got a few here and there, but never really figured much of a pattern. If there was any pattern at all, it seemed to be that the action was a bit better near the mouths of sloughs. Got a few crappie in one mouth. We probably ended up with a bit under two dozen baits in the livewell the two of us.

We set up for flatheads at dusk, as usual, but the catfishing was real slow. As others have said, I don't know, but I blame it on the weather: the river is on the rise and the water temperature has dropped several degrees in the last week: it was about 71 after dark.

A lot of people say fishermen have to be patient. Larry Dahlberg says it's not patience, it's perserverence. Personally, I think I am just plain stubborn.

We moved around a lot, spent a total of about 16 hours in the boat, and over the course of the night (we didn't pack up until dawn) we got three flatheads: 8.5, 33 and 18.5 pounds. The best fish (which, by the way, was 39 x 28 inches, the one in the pic) was caught in a creek mouth on the ebb tide. I could feel a good size fish in her fat stomach, so I looked and there were a few inches of the tail of a decent fish still in her throat - looked like either a largemouth or a good crappie. Even with a full belly, she decided to eat my live sunfish!

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <We set up for flatheads at dusk, as usual, but the catfishing was real slow. As others have said, I don't know, but I blame it on the weather: the river is on the rise and the water temperature has dropped several degrees in the last week: it was about 71 after dark.

A lot of people say fishermen have to be patient. Larry Dahlberg says it's not patience, it's perserverence. Personally, I think I am just plain stubborn.>

I don't mind "slow", if I end up with a couple of nice 'uns like y'all caught! Well done!

Bill in SC

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As always great repeort John. I am ready for a Pee Dee all nighter and I think I will give them a try next week. Im hoping those big flathead are going to be feeding hard over the next few weeks cuase they should spawn on this full moon cycle.:wink: I hope to find out monday night.:big_smile:

4. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Still a nice report John. River still too high down here. Oh well, I did get my renewal form for my fishing license in the mail from South Carolina last week...