Edible fish size?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beef85j, Aug 3, 2008.

1. beef85j

beef85j New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi,

What is the best size fish to eat? I see these guys with these monster cats, do they eat'em? What max. and minium size best to eat? Do larger fish taste worst or better?

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    there is a restaurant in SC called old McDonalds fish camp. They have a catfish appetizer that is small 6" cats. Very tasty, flat heads of all sizes are good eating. The best size in my opinion, as a general rule is pan size, about 12". jmo:wink:

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    If I'm going to eat em, I stick to 8 lbs or less. Much over that and they become to strong. Plus I prefer CPR. Leave the breeders for the future. Best case would be 2-5 lbs. I have to say fresh is always better than frozen. :0a22:​

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    channels. over 8-9 lbs they get a lil fishier but flatheads. to me its doesnt matter size. ive had from 3-25lbs. they are all great.

alot of the big fish here are released. but not all. its personal preference.:wink:

5. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I would have to say pan size channel cats, right around 12".

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    3 to five pounds are best. especially for blues. Blues have a strong blood line thru them and the bigger they are the more red meat they have. The red meat in a fish is no good.

Channels are good up to about 10 lbs. Over ten pounds and they start to get a stronger flavor to them that is generally not too good.

Flats are good no matter what size but the bigger any fish is the harder to clean they are and the tougher the meat.

So as a general rule I don't keep any fish to eat over 10lbs

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mike, welcome to the BOC. It's been my experience the smaller fish are the best eating. I like fiddlers i can knock the head off of and fry whole after i score the sides( bout 12"). Most of the bigger fish get fat and have a mud line in them that i don't care for. Most of the big fish you see here are released to catch another day. Please practice selective harvest and good luck. Again welcome to the BOC.

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think the smaller fish taste better and I release all large fish. You might want to check the state DNR's guidlines for eating catfish from where you fish. Some lakes and rivers are fine, but others aren't. Two places I fish a lot have consumption advisories. The GA DNR advises no one eat blue catfish over 32" from the Coosa River because of contaminants. In TN, they advise pregnant or nursing women, and children to do not eat catfish at all from Nickajack Lake, and all other people to limit consumption to 1 meal per month because of contaminants also. Good luck fishin'.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    channels anything under 10lbs is good eating for our house bullheads anysize and flatheads i eat them in the 20or under range