Economy Fishing Cart

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by kmcalester, Oct 6, 2009.

1. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Any of you guys ever use these when fish or have any idea's on building one?

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    No. Maybe using an old shopping cart fitted with larger wheels and holders for the rods would suffice. I mainly use a backpack to carry my things in save for the bait.

3. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I see them all the time used down on the coast. People use them to haul their stuff out on piers and levees. Most of the ones I have seen have nice air filled tires for a smoother ride. Solid tires might jar your bait box, cooler, tackle box, ect too much. I have even seen them set up with 12v batteries and lights for night fishing. I think you would be limited only by your imagination.
    I have seen a yellow utility cart at Lowe's that I thought would make a good one. It is sort of like a kids red wagon on steroids.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's all in the wheels.
    That economy cart sucks.
    Those other two CPI carts are overpriced on that site.
    I've seen the Jr for as low as 120 on sale. Seen them for 75 bucks on Craigs.

I built one.
    I scrounged aluminum. Only thing I bought was the front wheels and tires for a Cub Cadet . 16" tires. Total investment, 60 bucks and change.
    I'm still going to buy the sr. when I run across the deal I want. Someone wanting to get rid of one.

Get the largest tires you can. It'll pull and push alot easier.

5. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I carry everything I need in this. All I did was cut small wedges in the side to rest the rods.

Attached Files:

6. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I own the Jr. model and use it mostly when surf fishing. If you are going to build one keep in mind the type of terrain that you will be going over. Some type of pneumatic (air filled) tire would probably be more versatile. Owned mine for 4 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything else. The Jr. as you have probably noticed comes with a bait cutting table. Hope this helps.

Ray

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to carry my stuff because the rocks on the river bank are just too big. I use a fly fishing vest to carry my tackle in. They have a load of pockets and storage areas, and are very easy to wear. With both hands free I can carry the rest of the stuff.

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    you don't want to see my cart :roll_eyes:

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont use one, mostly because of the places i fish. however i have seen them fashioned two ways, 1 was on an old air tank cart that fits two air tanks. like the ones used for a cutting torch. the guy fashioned old bike tires on on it and a basket. the tires were for a child's bike, not an adult bike. the other was similar, but it was made out of a dolly and had the big balloon dolly tires on it and had a basket fashioned on the bottom. id say ether of them had no more than 30-40 bucks tops in them. you can find those dollies at flee markets for hardly anything, same with the tires and baskets. hope that helps

10. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i need me one:big_smile:

11. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    i modified a lawncart from menards30.00 tossed the junk plastic wheels added an axle w/ some large wheels off a pushmower 10" works great for a allnighter, fits in back of my cherokee loaded down, sits low and not tippy like the kids wagons, small cooler, tackle bag,4 rods,lantern, extra propane, 2 camp chairs, net, 5 gal bucket w/livebait usually bluegills all fit for my 2 mile hike to my fav spot, and it pulls great over weeds.

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You know they do.

13. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i made some plans to make one this winter out of 2x4s and a set of airfilled tires i have. im gonna put a small bait tank on the bottom, a shelf up top for my tackle box and holders for my rods.

14. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Just a suggestion: Add some kind of small cutting surface as a portable bait table for making cut bait. You won't regret doing this. :wink:

Ray

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    like a flip over lid WITH latch so if you do get a lil rowdy everything is jsut mixed up inside instead of on the ground in the dark surrounded by snakes and badgers and boll weevils

16. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
  17. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I found a two wheeled dolly used by golfers for carrying their clubs. I'm not a golfer so I have no idea what they call it but it as in a salvage yard and the price was right. I carry my supplies in a plastic bucket with stack trays. Bunje chords hold it in the place where the golf clubs should be. I added a couple of pieces of plywood decks that hold my small ice chest and bait bucket. My rods and the long handled dip net mount on the oppsite side and are held in place by the shock or bunje cords. It has an adjustable handle and large soft wheel that were made to roll over rough ground. It has worked well for my needs.

18. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    What could be modified to work quite well is what's called a "jogging stroller". Three wheeled, air filled tires at least 12", if not 14". Sporting clay shooters use em all the time. Coupla gun racks on the handles, use seat for shells, etc. Rolls quite nicely over just about any terrain.
    I found one at a flea market, like new, then another one at Goodwill for like $5. The top sun canopy could be replaced by a cutting board and, well, the modifications are limited only by one's imagination.

And as long as ya don't modify it too much, it all folds up and could fit in a trunk.

19. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Now that right there is the ticket Mark ! LOL!

20. rivershark-voulantary

rivershark-voulantary New Member

State:
    pa
    I built one out of an old 3 wheeled jogging stroller. Works great. Now I can get a workout on the way to the bank spots Lol.