ebay

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by powercat, Jan 31, 2007.

1. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I am interested in peoples expeirences of buying Abu Garcia reels from ebay sellers. It appears you can buy them about 20% cheaper which includes the shipping.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My experience has been about 20 to 30 percent cheaper. Course it all depends on the bidder. If the person is aware of the local price of the reel, subtract the shipping/packaging, he would get the price he could pay for the reel and break even. But, by bidding substancially lower than the break even price, he could have some good savings. If you miss the reel right now, don't worry, another will be offered within 24 hours. Just control your self.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Decide on your maximum price. I figure a 6500C3 used and in very good condition is worth about 2/3 rds of new, no more. Ask the seller lots of questions about the reel and don't get in a bidding war. If the starting is, lets say $15, set your bid max, maybe $25, and let it ride. Wait until the last day, even the last few hours or minutes to make a final play for the reel. Don't get in a bidding war. Be comfortable with the seller and do all you can to determine the condition. Before you bid, compare other similar reels.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've bought some nice ones online. I bought an older Abu and a beat up Penn for dirt cheap on E-Bay. They look terrible, but they work great.

5. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Powercat:

I have bought a ton of stuff off of Ebay and have made some Real Buys. Just remember check the FEEDBACK of the Seller good. and DON'T BID until the last one minute of the Auction or you are just gonna be like the rest of the idiots do and run the price up. Make your bid when you do bid the MAX amount that you would pay for it.

Here's how bidding on eBay works:
    • When you place a bid, you enter the maximum amount you'd be willing to pay for the item. Your maximum amount is kept confidential from other bidders and the seller.
    • The eBay system compares your bid to those of the other bidders.
    • The system places bids on your behalf, using only as much of your bid as is necessary to maintain your high bid position (or to meet the reserve price). The system will bid up to your maximum amount.
    • If another bidder has a higher maximum, you'll be outbid. BUT, if no other bidder has a higher maximum, you win the item.

Do it that way and you will make some good buys.

Gene

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've been buying on ebay for awhile now with some good results and I agree with what akwolf41 said about the bidding but first off you need to know what you can get the item for locally.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have got some good spinning reels like the gus said you need to know the retail price I always check out the dealer good luck

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The guys have all given good advice.

You can pretty much find anything on eBay. I ordered a little known book on Amazon.com and they sent me an email saying it had to be backordered, so on a whim I decided to do a search on eBay and what do you know, two sellers had it up for sale, and at a cheaper price than Amazon. So I cancelled my Amazon order.

I have bought 5 Penn 320GT's off eBay. No problems yet. Don't be afraid to ask the seller a question and to see actual pics of the reel if they don't have that on the auction page.

No need to bid like it's the last one available. If you lose one auction, there are probably 5 others you can bid on.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Best thing to do on ebay is Snipe, wait until the last few seconds and bid. Do not get into a bidding war, that will get you in trouble and you'll end up paying way too much. Check feedback and that is about all that matters. Also, watch out for over charging on shipping. Good luck.

10. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    my tactic on ebay is to just wait until 30 seconds before the auction ends and put my maximum that i'm willing to spend.. sometimes im risky and wait until 10 seconds.. with this, the other guy doesnt have enough time to outbid you b/c time has run out.. i bought almost all of my good quality reels this way

so far all of the reels i purchase is at least 2/3 of original price if not more.

i have a habit of never buying anything unless its on sale and one sale by at least 33%.. such as my catmaxx rods, etc. but on to ebay

i bought a penn 210 in excellent condition for $35 with shipping
    an Abu 5500 like new with 80 lb powerpro for $40 with shipping
    an Abu 7000 HS new for $60 including shipping

several trout reels new for more than 50% off including shipping price.

ebay is a steal.

key is patience. sometimes ill let 10 reels pass in a month period before i notice a reel that less people have bid on..

auctions ending in the early morning and afternoon definetely have cheaper prices due to less people online bidding..

ive bought 5 150 yds of powerpro ranging from 15-65 lb test for $30 bucks including shipping.. now that was a steal.

just have the control to be patient.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Well E-bay is a good place if u can get at the right price. I won and brand new Abu 5000 One Series baitcaster for $36.95 and that included shipping. Now that was a deal. I hope to bid on a Abu 6660 soon from the same guy he's a good seller.

12. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only other piece of advice I could add is do a search for the reel you want and click the button to watch them. Let some of them sell and you can see about what the winning bids are, that will tell you about how much you'll need to spend. Not to say you cant steal a great deal every now and then.LOL

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just for fun whenever looking for something check out www.froogle.com . It gives you the best prices around on things from websites. Hope this helps.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The only thing I have to add is to use PayPal. If you don't have it, check it out.

Definitely some great buys there!

Welcome to the BOC/SOC,
    Cheryl

15. Cat Dracula

Cat Dracula New Member

State:
    Metarie, LA
    Hey Dick. I just bought an 18' Cobia and i'm headed down to Ft Meyers, FL to pick it up this weekend. I have also purchased quite a few reels and depth finders and things of the like. To date i've had nothing but good luck with my purchases. Good Luck. Cat Drac

16. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    I open up two windows of the item I want and make my max. but in one but don't confirm till ten seconds to go ..... the other window I keep refreshing to check the remaining time ..... when it gets down to 10 sec. then I hit the confirm button in the other window ...... seldom misses :big_smile:

I got a used Pro Rocket $40 shipped and a Blue Yonder NIB for $100 ..... only bad thing about Abu's is the drags aren't the best .... but they can be upgraded

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    oops I just bought my second 220gto on ebay that makes at least 5 reels bought un ebay all were good deals!

18. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know what you mean:smile2: Now I know who has been beating me out at the last second!LOL

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :cool2: wasnt me. the last two reels were gtos for $59.99 BUY IT NOW free ship:cool2: . cant wait these days :roll_eyes:

20. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Lots of good deal on ebay but watch out for the ones that have high shipping rates. Lots of them try to make up for a little price on an item and make it up on the shipping costs.

:cool2: :big_smile: