Ebay Scam!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bownero, Aug 19, 2009.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I thought I would share this incident I saw on Ebay a couple of days ago. While checking out the Ebay Motors website, I viewed an auction for a '69 Mach1 Mustang 428 for only $5700 in pristine condition. Say what? This is a car that can easily sell for more than 30k. The seller listed the car with a "buy it now" option with free delivery. The seller wrote that the bidders should not click on the buy it now button, until there was a sent email to the seller to make the transaction. The seller wanted a $500 downpayment to complete the sell.

So I thought what the heck. Let's play.:cool2: I emailed the seller saying I was interested in the car and will have the cash. I said I will fly to the location of the car and make the transaction in person. Simple enough! The sellers response was that I needed to give my Ebay ID to complete the transaction and money was supposed to be wired via Western Union.

Bull Sh!t!!

This isn't how Ebay works!! I will not send money to anybody this way. The auction was imediately removed from Ebay!! Kind of funny the seller didn't respond to my reply of meeting face to face to make the transaction in person.

Reason being the car was listed for only $5700 was so the seller would only face a petty theft charge and no Internet fraud!!

Just make sure of what your bidding on and make sure it's a secure transaction!!

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah $5700 for that kinda car is kinda odd.. deff woulda got into detail with the seller on its conditions..:embarassed:

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah AJ!! The seller sent pics of the car. It was in excellent condition for sure. Said on the auction, that the car had 94,000 miles. Interior was in perfect condition to. Heck the seller could of posted some pics of another car for this auction, just to make the scam. Nice try I say. I've done my research on these cars and know when something like this is FISHY to put it bluntly!! A '69 Mach1 428 for $5700 would be a rust bucket that would need another 20K as least to make it streetable and presentable. These cars are fairly rare and command a price.[youtubevid]JKqPKObKfHc[/youtubevid]

here's a video of a similar car that was listed on the auction!!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    both ebay and craigslist are filled with scum bags. I sell a bunch of car parts on both of them just last week i got two fake money orders from someone:crazy: its unbelievable what some of these people try to pull:angry:

5. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ebay is full of scammers much like the world now-a-days.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, my father inlaw was nearly taken like this on craigs list. I investigated the too-good-to-be-true deal. He was phished by spyware he picked up while shopping for a truck. On craigslist it had a link to "ebay"... only it wasnt really ebay... looked like it though lol. Instead it was a faked site. Pretty slick really. Just so happened that the truck was actually actively listed on the real ebay by the real owner... hard telling how many 500 dollar deposits he got.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    All in All,, Ebay is a pretty decent spot to shop,,,I pay for everything with Pay Pal or cash if I pick up in person...

Ebay warns folks about sending folks money with Western Union,,,, Ebay does take measures to stop crooks and they have email address's to send or report folks you think are crooks.

I just picked up 2 QBeams for cheap,,,,,lol,,,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400065991849&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270440663647&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

QBeams are about 40 bucks new plus sales tax,,,,

I can't help it ,, I love Ebay, I have bought my last 3 pickup trucks off Ebay and my wife's Cadillac,,lol

My F250 came from over Big Georges way in NJ. East Coast trucks are not used as hard as we use them in Indiana,,, we beat them up////or I do.:smile2

If you folks are frugal like me,,, check out the clothes,, I just picked up a brand new NASCAR jacket for 1.04 and 10 shipping. Heck at the track it would be 50 bucks,,,,lol lol

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    When I got out of the service in 68 a lot of guys were reupping and buying those. Went for less than $10, 000 then. Wish I had bought one of each color!! LOL

9. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Anymore, I don't even click to open one that looks suspicious on there because of one time where it kept pulling pop-ups when I did, even though it was through Ebay. I had to shut down to get off; now I stick to the more legitimate auctions. Reality is though that a lot of people do still fall for tha scams in hopes of a great deal, sending in their $500 bucks without hesitation. It's a shame

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the "heads up" on this little scam. Glad you didn't get taken. But, to be sure, that video is one sweeeeet little car!! I just love the "Old Muscles"!

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing info on some of E Bay scams. Interesting.