ebay Rodholders (Driftmaster Style)

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Storm27m, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I know some people on here have bought rod holders off ebay in the past because I found a post on here about them. That is what gave me the idea to check ebay. I ended up buying 6 dual angle (5/35 degree) rod holders and I am more than satisfied. I paid $55 shipped for the 6 rod holders and bases. The single angle holders were about $10 less per 6.

The rod holders look to be very sturdy. The design of the dual angle rod holder allows for a little flex but it shouldn't be a problem. My only worry at this point is the bases. The aluminum seems like it might be a little soft, so I may see if I can order some extras.

And of course, pictures are worth a thousand words, so here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I bought some of the single angle holders from the same guy, I think. I mounted mine on my thin walled fiberglass Carolina Skiff gunnels. I had concern that the small aluminum base would eventually break the fiberglass. I compensated by taking some thin 3/32 aluminum plate, and making a wider/longer base to go up under the original base. I put the plate on top and bottom of the gunnel. This allows me to "bottom out" the rod holders without fear of the holder cutting into the fiberglass when screwing it in, and it also distributes the load better when a big fish hits. As for the treads in the original base holding up for a long time, I'm not real sure about that. For the money, you can't go wrong with these holders! You did good.
    Bill in SC

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    those look pretty nice.. do you have a link to the seller on ebay?

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I got some from the same seller,just the single angle versions. I like the no weld design vs the welds that have been known to fail in the Driftmasters. The bases aren't the greatest, but he uses the same threading as Driftmaster, so you always have some options for buying a variety of bases.

5. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas