Ebay Rod Holders?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Salmonid, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I been scouring the web looking for a quality Driftmaster copy at a cheaper price type of rod holder that comes with a base. Looking to put on the boat. Has anyone ever bought these and can you recommend a particular site in general? Im looking to get 6 of them and use them for Blues and Flatheads so heavy duty is mandatory. I read about 3/8" and some that are 1/2" , any difference or is it overkill? Looking to stay at $50 bucks or less since Im recovering from just buying the boat....:eek:oooh:

Salmonid

2. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I have both and I prefer the 3/8. There used to be a base or two avaliable in the 1/2" that was not in the 3/8" line. I make my own bases now. I don't use the boat with the 1/2" holders much but my recollection is that the rod handle doesn't come out of them as easy as the 3/8".

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Try out the Tite-Lok rod holders. Their a sponsor now and have some great quality looking set-ups.:big_smile:

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    emailed both on ebay and they say they havent lost a rod yet if that helps.iam the same shape looking to change from bps holders to driftmaster type

5. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i bought 15 off ebay been in 2003. they have held up very well and have not lost a rod yet. at the time i bought them pro-stan didnt sell them with the base so cant reply on the base. only thing with the rod holders is once a year i take them and paint them.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can go to a hardware store and get some 3/8" round rod for less than $5.00 for a 30" section. From that you can fabricate two rod holders of a style similar to the drift masters. Generally everyone knows someone who putters around with a welding kit, and most of them would like to help you by heating the metal and bending it to whatever shape you want. You can also get a tap and die in the 3/8 X 24, I believe, and make your own bases. By the time you paint the metal with primer and top coat, you have spent just about as much as you would spend buying them at Academy at about $8.50 per set. But what the heck, mine are better. LOL

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You can also get a tap and die in the 3/8 X 24,

good post but 3/8-16 would be a better choice. 16 threads per inch will be a much coarser thread and less prone to damage then the thinner 24 TPI

I have genuine 3/8" driftmaster rod holders, and am planning on selling them and repalacing with the 1/2" models. I snapped one off at the base losing a $250 dollar rod and reel.

8. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    I have some of the 3/8" ones sold on e-bay by the Guy out of GA. They are good Rod Holders for the money and they are tough. They are also rubber coated . I have had some Killer takedowns with no problems and they come with Bases and Screws, all stainless.

my 2 cents;

Gene

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Tite-Lok all the way!:wink:

10. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I AM LUCKY WITH MY JOB I GET TO MAKE MY OWN . I HAVE MADE BOAT AND BANK HOLDERS THEY LOOK LIKE DRIFT MASTERS .THE BANK HOLDER HOLDS 3 POLES AND THE BOAT HOLDER HOLDS 6. IF YOU ALL WOULD LIKE TO SEE PICS. P.M ME AND I WILL POST THEM. IT MAY HELP SOMEONE THAT HAS AN IDEA THEY HAVEN'T TRIED OR STARTED YET. LET ME KNOW!!

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate your thoughts. Now I have been doing some other digging and talked to a lot of folks and it looks like ill stick with the 1/2" Driftmasters since they are gauranteed against breakage and the cost isnt too much more then the Ebay ones. I did check out the Tite Lok stuff, its nice but too pricey for my budget and Im not a big fan of the tube style rod holders. I just can not justify saving a few bucks and then loosing a whole outfit over it not too mention loosing the big one that broke it.....

Thanks again folks, Kudos all around
    Salmonid

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    good choice Mark. if You do any lake fishing and plan on drifting I would get the duo pros. they have two places to put your rod. one is flat for drifting and one at an angle for fishing anchored

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, Id like the ones that can be flat for when Im using my clickers for flatties or tilted for drifting and circle hook fishing.

Next question, at what angle is best for drifting/circle hooks, is the 10, 33, or 45 degree ones best?

Thanks again, Salmonid

14. Julie - Tite Lok

Julie - Tite Lok New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you look on our website or Cabela's or Bass Pro. We have many other distributors as well which can be viewed on our website under "links".
    We have a 5610 rod holder that isn't the tube style. It will rotate to 12 locking positions and tilts to desired fishing rod angle. We are higher in price than some of our competitors. Our products are made of a higher quality materials so they keep their cosmetic appearance for years.

I hope this helps.

Julie

15. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Guys:

I posted earlier here on this thread answering the e-bay question. But I will tell you that I did get the chance to see the Tite-Lok rod Holder while I was in Kentucky at DH's and will tell you one thing for sure and that the Quality and design in their products is Awesome. I do know when I step up to new Rod Holders, I will have TITE-LOK Rod Holders on my boat.

My 2 Cents;

Gene