eBay: A fool and their money are soon parted

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bill in SC, May 15, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just saw an Abu Garcia 'Blue Cat' go for $117.50, + $12.50 shipping. Why in the heck would someone spend that kind of money when the same reel can be had new for $89? Do people not research their investments?
    BB in SC

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I see that kind of stuff all the time on there... No idea why they pay MORE for something they can get at the store, brand new, and cheaper....

3. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i try to research reasearch research before spendin too much money

4. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    People get caught up in the auction fever. I have a friend that is normally pretty cost careful. He buys stuff on eBay way over retail. I've been to horse tack auctions were buyers did the same thing. I buy at auto salvage auctions and you have to set a price before you bid and once it reaches that you walk away. You have to buy with your head not your heart.

5. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Was checking out several reels on there.After adding shipping not worth the trouble.Went out and got it that day and had ready to go all in same day no waiting for ups or fedex.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yes EBAY can be addictive. Some people just bid and bid, like throwing quarters into a slot machine.:tounge_out: Before you know the winning bid far exceeds the price it's worth. The shipping costs are the real killer. Make sure to check the shipping costs carefully and carefully research prices to get the real deal.:wink::big_smile:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Bill i have to mostly agree with BailBonds...I think people get caught up on the bidding process...Maybe the individual didnt know such a reel existed and thought it was some type of "limited run" ....rare fishing reel...Can't say for sure...Guess he didnt research..just say i gotta have it now...

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    That what those places do .Once your caught on the hook they have a big SUCKER caught.

9. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    EBay is addictive like gambling.
    PEEDEE CAT

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I LOVE eBay. There are some GREAT deals to be had there. I got my TWO BRAND NEW Swedish Abu Garcia 6000s for $70, including shipping. With rising fuel costs, MOST anything you buy can be had cheaper buying online, (whether eBay or other sources) and there are many good, reputable dealers out there. All I'm saying is that if you are on eBay to begin with, that means you are on a computer. If you are on a computer, it only takes a few SECONDS to Google the key word of an item of your interest. In a few more seconds you can find the lowest online price/dealer on that particular item. Consequently, it is completely IGNORANT to bid an item up above retail, and yes, shipping costs must be evaluated into the equation. Once again, with rising fuel costs, many of us are forced to trade online. That doesn't mean we have to be stupid traders. Heck, I have to drive 40 miles one way to Florence to get the fishhooks I use. Unfortunately for the nice fellow at the tackle shop there, I can now buy my hooks much cheaper online and have them at my door very quickly. That's just one example of most everything I buy. Use your head, trade/research carefully, and you can save a pile of dough.
    BB in SC

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I shop on e-bay alot! The reason I spend so much time on it is because I have to, to get a good deal. I'ts amazing to see people get into a bidding war on a used item and end up paying more for it than you'd pay at a local walmart. LOL Reel collectors are ruthless too. Of course the value of a collectible reel is only set by how bad you want it. I've watched computer parts like for instance a mother-board. I see something i like. open a new tab and go to a few sites or even the manufacturers site and look it up. find out how much it's worth, and decide if it's worth bidding on. I've seen mother-boards that i can buy new for $50.00 go for $75.00 or $80.00 used!! sometimes I want to message the people and tell them how stupid they are being, but i refrain. Once i was looking for the dumbest thing i could find on e-bay. I found an unopened, but empty bag of lays potato chips. the seller had It described as a once in a lifetime find, and I clicked on "view sellers other items". He had 3 more! HA HA HA HA It had a buy it now price of $1,500.00 it sold for $13.00 Like the subject line says: a fool and his money are soon parted.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I saw a neon sign for 99 cents but shipping was 129.00.
    Bill

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a good one, now thats a fool for ya. :big_smile: now that just plan dump.

14. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    I tend to do market research almost to excess before I buy anything. It's not uncommon for me to have two (or more) other windows open to different research sites when I'm considering a bid on an Ebay auction.

Like others in this thread have said, it helps to set a limit for yourself before you enter a bid and then RUTHLESSLY stick to your limit. I like to collect Penn conventional reels. I know that if I don't get a certain one there will be 20 like it that come up in the next few days.

One other thing I do is NOT buy on Ebay with a credit card. I have a savings account that I set up to use with Pay Pal. When I have money in there I can spend it. When I don't, I don't.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <One other thing I do is NOT buy on Ebay with a credit card.>

That's the BEST advice that could be given. Savings or a debit card are the only way to fly. If you use a credit card, and don't pay it off monthly, the interest fees will erase any "good deal" you may have made.
    Bill in SC

16. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Depends on where you live. On a United Kingdom website I looked at, that reel is on sale for 89.99 pounds which converts to $175.35 U.S. dollars. Someone living over there might jump on one for $138.00. The site lists regular price of that reel as being 110.00 pounds- thats $216.38 U.S. dollars.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lmao. clearence has done me good. got my 2 6500cl3's for $40 new a 5500 $35 and ebay has offered me a green vantage abu 5000 for $28. i have 10 now. so wont be looking anytime soon. havent paid full price for any.:smile2:

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

Hey I was bidding on that one too.:big_smile: I jumped out early though.