Ebay 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Uncle Sam, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've been wanting a couple more outfits so I decided to buy 2 6000 abus off ebay. I watched them for a couple of weeks and bid on a few. Most of them went within 7 or 8 dollars of the price of a new one from CC, so I let them pass. I finally bought one for 40.00 [including shipping] and one for 44.00. There are numerous sellers advertising them as brand new but missing box and papers. When I received them they look fine. I can't find anything wrong with them but they have an "X" painted on the bottom of the foot. I am familiar with the workings of a 6000 and when I looked inside there is another X inside the clicker side cover. I am satisfied with the reels and the price I paid but just wondering what's the deal. The only things I can see possibly wrong are a very small paint blemish or two but not big enough to warrant not selling them for new. Someone enlighten me please.

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Probably for ID purposes upon a return? :cool2:

3. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    The "X" on the bottom of the reel foot indicates that it is a refurbished reel. I have a couple myself. They look new and work great. I think they are refurbished by Abu, but I've always wondered what it was that warranted a refurbish in the first place. Fish em' hard and don't look back! Doug

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I also bought two 6000's made in Sweden from ebay for @ 41.00 total to replace a 5000 and a 6000 I have misplaced,not stolen.Looks to me like the 6000's are going out of production.Both of mine were in the sealed plastic container.Have been using them with no problem from the day they arrived.They haven't been worked hard with big fish just whites and sauger about 2 lb. or so.
    Jake

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Sam,
    I also bought 4 of the Abu 6000 Sweden reels this year off ebay. So far so good. Ive caught several blues over twenty with a few 30+ on a couple of them. I didnt notice anything on mine such as marking but will check. All 4 came like yours with no box or papers. Im gonna check mine and see if I can find any marks on them and let you know. rspd507

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ross, The main mark on these is an x etched in the bottom of the foot. Looks like it's done with a small grinder or something similar. The reels work fine and look brand new. I 've tested them in the yard and everything is great. I haven't fished with them yet but I'm going to remedy that right after Thanksgiving. I think they have never had line put on them. They are Swedish made and I am very satisfied with them. I'm just curious to know how they got there.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The X is a refurb reel.
    I own several. The only difference inbetween those and the others I bought brand new was the price.

I picked up 2 more 5500's yesterday for 30 dollars a piece in the box. Both are refurbs.

Nothing wrong with the reel but it ticks me off when people dont disclose this bit of information about a product they are selling.

8. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma

Mark J, I have two and neither one was described as a refurb. I probably wouldn't have bought either one, I'm a little paranoid about rebuilt gear, but honestly, except for the "X" on them, they look new and work fine. I agree that sellers could be a little more "descriptive" in their posts. I wasn't thrilled when I opened the boxes and saw the grind mark.

9. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have bought 5 over the past couple years off of ebay, have never noticed marking but now you guys got me wondering, going to take them off the rods and check. ill say they have worked great.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In my opinion there is nothing worse for a business then to mislead the consumer.
    I wonder how many of these resellers on places like Ebay actually know what they are selling.
    You have to be careful with any purchase you intend to make online.
    The killer price you think you might be paying for an item might actually turn out to be a tad more then its market worth.

Now I have 4 refurbed 5500C3's. None came from Ebay.
    Where I bought them originally has 69.95 on them. I doubt the owner even knew they were refurbs.
    I know how some of the tackle distributors work.
    They approach you with a deal on some ABU's with a ton of profit margin built in. The more you buy the better the price. If you dont ask the questions you dont get any answers. If you did ask the questions you might not get the right answer.
    The owner made the comment the other day saying that I had come back for some more of the reels nobody could beat his price on.
    Thats when I told him his reels were priced about market value and the reason I bought from him was because he was selling refurbs and held up one for him to see the X. By the look on his face I knew he didnt know any better.

11. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mark, thats the way I feel about it. I have no reservations at all about buying a refurbished reel. I'd just like to know it up front. A few of the sellers on Ebay disclose this up front, but most don't. I bought those two reels as new and am very satisfied with them at the price I paid. If I'd paid what I see some of them go for I'd be mad as hell. I'll ask the seller a question next time. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Sam