eating varmints

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Oct 26, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    how many of yall have ate animals..not usually associated with being food..coons, armadillos, possums..neutria :smile2:

my uncle eats tons of squirrels and loves thema nd my granpa mentioned armadillos were good..i have ate squirrel but nothin else...

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've eaten squirrel too, but none of the rest. I guess they'd be like squirrel or anything else, as long as you fix them right they'll be good. Put enough of the right kind of spices and condiments on anything and you'd think it was good.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thank the Lord for ketchup!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't forget the Mustard or BQ sauce.:wink:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jefro, if it don't kill ya it is F O O D!

My Grandpa liked squirrel brains and fresh goose blood.

Go to a game feed sometime. If they can kill it somebody will eat it. Heheh.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've ate coon and groundhog, and back in my trappin days alot of muskrat and beaver. I grew up on squirrel so I dont consider squirrel to be an abnormal food source.

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    and sweet taters.i like squirel,rabbit,turtle,gator,rattle snakes alright.my buddy eats coons,possums,everything,black birds,any kind of bird really,seriously if he can kill it he'll eat it.no dogs or cats,(i don't think).

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i've ate coon and armydiller, and a rattlesnake or two. i've ate snapping turtle (it didn't taste like chicken) lots of wild rabbits and squirrels. i've ate grinnel and gar and carp and a mud cat or two. i've lived in south louisiana before so no telling what i've ingested down there. and i've eaten at several chinese and mexican resturants. :eek:oooh:

9. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I'd try anything listed here, but I've also eaten frog legs, gator, and squirrel. A few local restaurants serve gator tail, and if we kill any squirrel this year, I'll eat some more. A man in our church eats soft-shell turtles if he finds them. I'll try anything once, as long as it's safe to eat.
    I had a feeling you were from Georgia. :wink:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  10. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I didn't even think about rabbits. I'd eat any of them I could get. I don't really even consider them abnormal since we had raised them to eat in the past. Never hunted them though but would go if given the opportunity. I did eat a couple that my I watched my dog kill in the yard though. We've been seeing a good many around recently and I'm hoping that my dad will build some rabbit boxes and catch a few this winter. I've actually pondered the idea of building a new rabbit cage and getting some to raise for several years now. Not sure if it's really worth the effort though.

11. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'll eat squirrels or rabbits any day. They're delicious. I've eaten snapping turtles, frogs' legs, and even iguana once.

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    possum chili is deluxe :big_smile::cool2:

13. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well I have ate about everything I guess, Bear, Caribou, Elk, Moose, Rattle Snake, Gator, Ground hog, Coon and I hate to admit it but even dog once while I was in Korea. Was not bad until they told me what it was.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive ate whatever the chinese buffet had:eek:oooh:

15. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    probably dog ,cat ,monkey man you'll eat anything jeffro.my kid's like them chinese buffets too.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sure is good monkey:smile2:

17. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    ever had any chocalate covered grass hoppers or anything like that.:crazy:

18. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    grew up eating rabbits and squirrels. My grandfather used to sit across from me at the table and eat squirrel brains and scrambled eggs for breakfast. My stomach couldn't take that. After watching him bust the little skulls open and dipping the insides out and mixing it in his eggs. I decided right then he was one tough old dude. :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:
    He used to push my up in the loft of his barn and I would pitch out little baby pigeons from their nest. He would fry them up. I can tell you going to the store and buying squab is not the same thing. When you see someone pinch the heads off and fry them up. They just look different. :embarassed::embarassed::embarassed: He grew up remembering hard times. And I think he could have made a meal out of anything. He lived in and abandoned box car as an orphaned kid.
    We used tgo go out and catch bull frogs and skin them and eat their legs. now that was goooood eating.
    I've tried gator and snake and some raccon that was bbq'd. Not much else that I can recall.

19. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    squirrel gravy and buscuits,yum yum :big_smile:

20. festus

festus New Member

I've eaten the chocolate covered grasshoppers Preston mentioned and they are really good. I love frog legs. Can eat rabbit, but not much of it, if I were camping and hungry, I'd like it better, anything tastes good out there, especially after a few brews. Have tried turtle, didn't like it. Tried squirrel, didn't like it. Tried buffalo carp, didn't like it. I would try gar if it was prepared by someone who knew how to cook and dress it. Would also try ground hog or coon if someone knew what they were doing. Love buffalo meat. Ain't too crazy about venison, but can eat chili, spaghetti, or other spicy foods prepared with a 50/50 mix of ground venison/ground beef. Haven't tried rattlesnake or gator, but i would at least taste it.

But I'll NEVER try possum. I was working in a land surveying crew outside the Smoky Mountains when I was a teenager. Found a dead rotted cow. I looked closer, and a possum crawled out the cow's @$$. It still haunts me to this day. :embarassed::crazy::sad2::eek:oooh::confused2: