Eating TN Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Shamrock, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

State:
    Knoxville,TN
    Do you take the advice of TWRA when it comes to eating Catfish from those lakes with restrictions and advisories?

2. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Welcome aboard Shamrock. I, for one, take the advisories seriously. Here in NE Georgia we have advisories on a number of our lakes. I don't even fish them. I travel over 100 miles to the lakes in SC to fish. I eat many of the fish I catch and I don't want to glow in the dark. LOL :sad2: :wink:

3. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    What areas are you asking about?

4. festus

festus New Member

Yes I do pay attention to the advisories, Jeff, and welcome!! Good to hear of someone locally on here, I'm about 30 minutes NW of Knoxville.

However, I will occasionally eat a few small catfish--maybe fish less than four pounds out of some of the advisory areas. By occasionally I mean maybe once a year or once every other year. Lots of these places also have advisories for sauger. I will eat the sauger maybe once or twice a year. I'm 56, no health problems, but really slowed down on eating the fish from around here in the the past 25 years.

I know folks who lived on Watts Bar Lake below the Oak Ridge plants runoff that have been there for years who are trying to get away, especially since the Kingston Steam Plant spill. The only fish I eat out of there is from the Little Emory or Big Emory River sections which are at least 5 miles above the spill area. This water is coming straight off the Cumberland Plateau and the mountains, and the only incorporated city above there is Harriman.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    I know Woods Reservoir has a restriction on the catfish there.Guess cause they are bottom feeders.But what about the bass and crappie out of that lake.Crappie feast off algea but they dont have restrictions on them out of the same lake.So what is the difference there.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

State:
    Knoxville,TN
    Thanks for all your responses’. I live on Ft Loudon, Little Turkey Creek where I watch the bank fishermen from the house. I see people take home Cats every week and wonder if others keep and eat fish from Ft Loudon/Tellico, Watts Bar , and Melton Hill

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Not really,
    I eat a bunch of fish off chickamaugua,,"no advisory" and smaller fish "blues" from delow the Chick. Dam "advisory", I talked to a bunch of locals that have been doing it all there life with no problem when I first started fishing up there ...
    I weighed it all in my mind and thats what I decided for me...The way I look at it everything will kill you so why not...:confused2:
    Puddle

8. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I listen to the TWRA reports. They have no reason to put out advisories except for our well being. If you are in an area with restrictions there are many creeks and small rivers that feed the larger waters that are not under warning. You may have to change your approach or settle for smaller fish, but it may just be alot better for your health. And who can argue with a good grilled trout or creek bass. :big_smile:

9. festus

festus New Member

I talked to an old fellow who was 83 years old about a month ago who worked at Y-12 in Oak Ridge in some of the hottest areas of the plant for about 35 years. He was in excellent shape, said he walked at least a couple miles per day and had eaten fish out of Melton Hill and Watts Bar Lake all of his life. As a matter of fact, I saw him horse in a 10 pound carp and he gave it away to some fellow. But he had a few keeper largemouth and a couple of crappie along with a catfish that looked about 3 lbs. he took home to fillet.

This was the Carbide Park (or Clark Center) on Melton Hill Lake.

10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Just looked it up you waters are a little different than mine,, up around you it says not to eat at all,,:embarassed:, My waters are a precaution advisory, To eat once a month limit...
    I would have to re-think about your waters...:wink:
    Puddle
    Oh, and welcome to the brotherhood...:big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  11. festus

festus New Member

You might catch something if you eat the fish below Ft. Loudoun Dam. No, just kidding. Some budding Einstein with a magic marker defaced the advisory sign down there with a magic marker. It says, THE FISH HAVE AIDS.

12. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    welcome my friend and if yall think the water is bad try breathing the air outside itll give u cancer lol and have yall seen the babies being born they got all their teeth.im telling ya its the chicken.:smile2:

13. festus

festus New Member

You folks in Middle Tennessee should count your blessings because TVA didn't get Hartsville Nuclear Plant built. :roll_eyes: Why when they started surveying and excavating the site all dairy cattle in the area quit giving milk! :sad2: :crazy: :eek:oooh: