Eating the Belly Meat on Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by puddle jumper, May 21, 2009.

Do you eat the belly meat??

1. I always eat it, its great.

2. Tried it but its no good..

3. Never tried it...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    After watching this video it got me thinking about the belly meat on blue cats, I never eat it becouse it seemed to fatty to me and it would not be good "have not tried it" , so the question is am I waisting good meat or do you guys agree its not worth eating??:big_smile:
    Thanks for you vote..
    Puddle

[youtubevid]ErRHjd74CL4&feature[/youtubevid]

2. pitbull1078

pitbull1078 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    now if i could clean fish that fish that fast I would be eating some catfish :smile2:

3. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Doug,
    Its a little akward when you first learn how, but thats the only way I clean them once I learned it...:wink:
    Puddle

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive tried it and dont care for it at all......fried or in a stew, blues or flatheads.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If the fish is over 10lbs I go after belly meat. Just make shure to remove the bellyskin like vid showed and then clean off any grey fat so ya got clean white meat. Cross cut into 1 to 2 inch strips deep fry mmmmmmmm :smile2: Thanks for vid post. Reps Bro

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have found that my taste buds prefer the bluecats around 5lbs. I dont keep larger fish and I dont fool with smaller fish. A 5 lb'er will feed me and the wife a good meal of fish and thats what I'm looking for when keeping fish. I catch enough fish to always have fish in the freezer without keeping larger ones. Oh....and I never eat stomach meat!:big_smile:

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I keep the belly meat on fish over 5 pounds. I release 10+ unless they are gut hooked and I don't think they will make it. I also fillet the meat on the top in front of the dorsal fin at the same time I fillet the sides so it is one fillet, instead of seperate like he is doing in the video.

8. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Ive had several people tell me how good the belly meat is on a big flathead.I havnt tried it if its got a strong flavor I know I wouldnt like it.

9. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Flathead belly meat is GREAT but I'm not sure on a blue. I did see a guy at Keystone using the blue's belly meat as bait on his jugs and catching some NICE (15#+) blues on it.

10. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    No blue bellies (no reference to you Yankees ) for me. I do like Opp bellies though.
    Jim

11. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive eaten flathead belly meat its good but not blues,,
    Never tried to save it for bait might be a good idea...:wink:
    Puddle

12. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    That does sound like a good idea. I was gonna save all mine for chum, but if I can catch some more good ones with it, why not. We are even considering cleaning our catfish while fishing and chumming or baiting with the remains. I guess you could use the fiddlers for cut bait might be a good use for them as well.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    John I always cook it. And I hear people talk about they would not eat it. Well each time I cook fish there eating it. LOL Just clean it up and its just as good as the rest.
    Also when I can't get fresh Skipjack, I save the fat strip down a fillet and use it for bait. I have had days where I catch as many big fish on that as on skipjack. great bait and free and easy to get.
    Also as for cleaning fish that is the only way to do it. Fast and simple. But then again I have cleaned more fish in a month then most will ever see or catch. But that was back when we fished for a living and cleaned around 1000 lbs per day.
    Pete

14. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I always eat it,all you have to do is cut the silvery skin off the inside and trim up the thin pinkish stuff on the outside.Just as good as the rest if not better.IMO if you don't like it you aint cleaning it up right.cause it taste the same.:big_smile_2:

15. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Sorry should of specified more,anything under 10 pounds isn't worth messing with belly meat.but the big boys 30-40 and up huge filet's of belly meet and delicious

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love the flathead bellies, never had blue. A word of caution here...... Don't use blue catfish parts to catch blue catfish if you are going to CPR. Remember Mad Cow disease? enough said. :crazy:

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I think you have fell off the deep end this time around.:crazy: Where in the world didi you come up with a crazy ideal like that?:roll_eyes::eek:oooh:
    You know good and well it would be mad Blue Disease not mad cow LOL:wink::tounge_out:
    Pete

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I always keep the belly meat. I take my fish skinners and pull all that blue/grey film out of the insides and strip it up and fry it. Love flathead bellys.

19. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THE BELLY MEAT ON A BLUE IS OK IF CLEANED RIGHT BUT THE BELLY MEAT ON A YELLOW NOW THATS GOOD EATIN.:big_smile:

20. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I eat it. It's good, and I don't like to waste anything edible.