Eating size

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by smitty1963, Jun 14, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What would be a good eating size for any catfish?????

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    what ever size i catch!:wink:

actually. bone in to me is the best flavor. i will eat 4-13 lb channels filleted and nugget them up. but a 12-16" dressed bone in is tops for me. flatheads. dont matter. i ate 3lbrs bone in awesome. and ate 25lbers in nuggets. and still awesome. never ate a blue.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I generally don't keep anythiing over 10lbs. The reason for this is two-fold. 1- I like to keep the bigger fish in the population, and 2 - I like to ice my fish down almost immediately and they just don't fit in my darn cooler as well.

Richard

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    First of all welcome to the BOC and hope you find every thing you want and as for eaters i think 1 1/2 to 3 lber's are the best but everybody has something defferent that's what's makes the world go around , good luck fishing:big_smile:

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    If it fits in my 12 inch cast iron skillet, it is food. If it fits in my cereal bowl, it is bait, bigger than these it's my best friend and I let him go.

6. dennis.p

dennis.p Guest

When it comes to flatheads I'm not sure they don't get better eating the bigger they get. Plus big flatheads have a pretty big chunk of meat right on top of their head. Big blues are really good to eat also. Personally, even though they are good I don't think channel cats are as good to eat as flatheads or blue cats but the best ones for me seem to be around 5lbs.

7. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I usually eat them up to around 8 pounds. My grandaddy always said if they were big enough to have two eyes they were big enough to eat.

8. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you everyone for your input

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Ken! I prefer to eat cats under 10# in weight, although if I'm desperate enough, or if the fish doesn't look like it will live, I will eat one that's larger. Generally I prefer to fillet my cats, but I do enjoy occasionally eating some small channels that I clean and skin, then cook whole. No one else in the family will eat them that way, so I don't fix them that way very often.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If I can pick it up easily with one hand, it's a keeper...everything else, I slip the hook out, and wish it a good life.

11. CatfishRookie1

CatfishRookie1 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Hey think about the end result you take a big fish and cut it into a whole lot of little fishies. So actually when I eat , I only eat 2 oz catfish pieces.
    What ever comes out must be cut down to size. So let's eat. I have heard that over 20lbs are not good eating.

12. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    2-5 pounders are what I like to keep to eat. It's been awhile since I have kept a catfish to eat. I got into gigging flounder late last year and have been keeping those to eat instead and giving the cats a break.