Eating size

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Sigmar, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Had posted this earlier but as I had several questions in that post guess this one got lost. Anyway I was curious seeing the pics of some of the big cats ya'll have caught, my question being are cats that big (say 30 lbs plus) good eating? I know with some species of fish once they get a certain size they can be affected by parisites such as worms etc, or build up pollutants ie mercury or pcb's in their system. Would appreciate some advice on this.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think alot of people on here release cats of 30-lbs, not because they would be bad eating but just to keep the trophys in the water instead of the frying pan.

3. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well that certainly makes sense as I've done much the same thing Bass fishing. So what would be the C&R point poundage wise?

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    channels anything over 5lbs i realease after a picture and for flaties i turn loose everything over 20lbs after a smile and a click

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    10 lbs is a good rule of thumb to start with for CPR. That's what I enforce on my boat and quite a few others do as well. Enjoy the fight, take a few photos and put that big fish back to breed and to give someone else the chance to do battle again.

6. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    This is a good question. I have never found large catfish other, than Opps too be very good eating. Big blues seem to be the strongest tasting. I have been told I do not know how to clean them. I have tried there way of cleaning and found some are a little better then others but over all not that good. I put them back when I catch anthing over 10lbs. Maybe one day I will learn how to clean them.
    Joseph

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personally i prefer fiddlers to eat. A blue over 10 lbs. is tough and i personally don't care for them. A 5 pound flat is some mity fine vittles.

8. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    Each lake has its own unique food base. Fish, especially blues reach a size where the quality of the meat drops off. Ivie for example has the fattest blues I've seen. Cleaning a 20 lb fish will make your hands oily from all the fat in the meat. Choke Canyon on the other hand has such large numbers of fish competing for food that a 40 lb fish eats like a 5 lb Ivie fish, the meat is very lean. The fish I have cleaned coming off lakes such as Whitney, Richland Chambers and Tawakoni fall some where between these two extremes. If you know how to properly remove all the fat and red off a big blue and really need the meat for a big fish fry go at it. If not releasing the big blues is the way to go.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont think anything over 10 is good eating the beat gets tough, over the years

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    10 inch crappie are as bout as good of eating as you'll find. I let flathead go over 15 lbs channels over 10 go back I dont catch blues so lets see uum how to clean.......when you fillet the meat off make sure you cut away any of the redish brown muscular tissue that connects the skin to the meat.......... thats what makes fish taste terribly strong. Rinse it real good and work fat and blood out under running water as best you can let soak over nite in salt water in fridge and it should be tasty. Grease has to be good and hot before you cook fish and using peanut oil doesnt hurt.

11. wiskerkitty61

wiskerkitty61 New Member

State:
    texas
    We stick with the 10 lb rule in our boat.

12. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am gonna be honest..I clean and eat every size cat I catch. I honestly like it all. However, there is more trimmin work to do with big blues. If you do an ok job on it though I think it all tastes like gold.