Eating Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by mtrimble, Nov 1, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Has anyone ever eaten Shad? My girlfriend is from Poland and they eat a type of herring that looks alot like Shad. The way it tastes is similar too. With all this talk about fish oil being great for health, I can hardly think of a more oily fish. Smoked shad anyone? Maybe this will be the next health fad.:big_smile: I think I have some shad jerky in the floor of my boat.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The shad is of the herring family. Some herrings are considered food fish. Shad isn't because it doesn't hold up well to cooking and handling. As for me, I don't believe I could get past the smell of threadfin or gizzard shad to eat them. On the other hand, the American shad, and to some extent, the Hickory shad, both native to America are eaten. But both grow to much larger size than thread fins or hickories. Shad are bony, but they say the American shad is, in particular, a good eating fish. Maybe that's because it, like salmon, spends much of its adult life at sea before returning to the rivers of the mid-Atlantic to spawn.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never eaten shad but have seen some Korean's eating it right out their cast net. One of the younger guy's in the family told me it was ok but he didn't go out of his way to eat it, he ws just there to help his mother and father cast net.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are several shad festivals in NC every year.
    The American and Hickory shad are great table fare. Fried up you eat the bones and all.

5. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    So is it like smelt. Not sure if they are the same type of thing or not but I do remember getting a all you can eat smelt basket with my Dad along time ago. Same thing bones and all, not bad eating.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks anyway ,but I think I'll just stick to my catfish for eating and just use the Shad for bait. (When I can catch them that is.)

7. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yes in Calif where im from we would catch them on the upper sacramento river. We smoked them and also lightly smoked and canned them ... also use to cut it in chunks and pickle it in the frig .. omg its sooo good!!

8. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Thanks, but as form me and my family I beleive we will stick to crappie or even some nasty ole catfish!!!
    Don't knock it til you try it!!

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have seen some koreans scaling them down at the dam a number of times I pretty sure that the are taking them home to eat them why else would you spend an hour scales little 4 inch fish?

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    EAT SHAD? (Steve-O puking sounds!)

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    A man would have to be smoking some serious stuff to ever eat a shad or skipjack. Shad just flat out stink and are hard to get the horrible smell off of your hands. Forget it.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That question reminds me of an article I read about an old trapper back in the 30's. He said he had trapped and eaten everything that walked in the woods. He added that the "front half of the skunk was good." LOL true story.

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the best way to eat shad is to plankem , thats cook them on a board scrape the shad off and eat the board :lol: but if youl eat sardines youl eat anything so i may have to give them a try

14. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    couldn't bare the smell

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You guys that are landlocked are probably not familiar with the American or Hickory shad species. They migrate upriver from the ocean to spawn in early spring. They are much larger and totally different from the threadfin or gizzard shad that most folks use for bait. The flesh and roe of the american shad is considered a delicacy by many. I like it 2 or 3 times a year when they are in season. It also makes excellent catfish bait. I will say that people who try it either like it or not. There doesn't seem to be much in between. On light tackle, they can really give a fight, too; a poor man's tarpon.

16. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Eating shad sounds like a pretty sick habit if you ask me, I'd rather get oils from a juicy hamburger, haha. My dad also told me once that the first time he went to England with my mom he ordered some fish and they served him mullet! He told the waitor that it was a nasty baitfish and the guy thought my dad was crazy.:lol:

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well I would try it ONCEbut if I didnt like it oh well but thats what i said about carp till i ate one i would eat another but i much prefer catfish

18. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    It's gotta be good to eat...my grandfather went to the Shad Planking in VA for years and years. Had a huge turnout. Politicians and the like would always come for publicity.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well we eat catfish and the blues eat a lot of shad... i am still not going to try it, hahaha!

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Hmmm.. Gen Washington kept our army on barrels of salted Shad.

Myself I lovs pickled herring, Sardines etc etc.

:byebye: