Eating River Catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Sorry guys about the newbie question, I have been on and off this sight for 2 years and never caught nothing of size to eat.

#1 Is it ok to eat catfish out of the Meramec ?
    and if so is their any steps to take prior to cleaning?

Ive heard some people soak the live fish in a clean barrel of water for a night prior to cleaning.:confused2:

2. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri

I eat fish out of the MO River on an occasion and the are completely fine. No preperation other that filleting them and soaking the fillets in salt water for a night or two just to get the blood out of the meat. Keep in mind I don't keep/clean anything over about 5#s. I would say if the fish out of the MO river are ok, fish would be fine out of the Meremac river. I myself think fish out of the river taste much better the pond/ lake fish, just for the fact that rivers have constent moving water.

3. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I grew up eating fishing out of all the rivers with in a hour two of K.C. and I happen to think I turned out fine. Except for the slight memory lost I get from time to time.:go::go:

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    eetingg katfysh ha nawt afect me at awl, whyyy dew yew ask?:smile2:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Missouri issues an annual fish consumption advisory.

http://www.dhss.mo.gov/fishadvisory/

Personally, I won't eat anything from the Missouri River. There's a lot less pollution in Truman Lake. But in my case it doesn't really matter as I hardly ever eat fish.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The consumption guide should answer any questions that you have. I eat river fish on a regular basis

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I also eat river fish quite often. The biggest step in cleaning I look for is getting ALL dark meat off. and if its a bigger fish I will cut it up in small nuggets.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Most of the fish I eat come from the river. I'm hoping one day to get that radioactive one and develope superpowers - "Catfishman" has a nice ring to it:smile2:

9. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Brenden I think BIG CATFISHMAN would be more to the liking, because you keep get those hogs out.

So how many over 50 does that give you in the last year?

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not nearly as many as a lot of guys on here. Maybe 3 in the last year and a couple that were close. Couple more in the boat that other guys caught that were in the 30's and 40's. All released after some pix. Trust me, there's lots of guys in the KC area that catch a lot more big fish than I do, they just don't post them.:wink:

11. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I have eaten fish out of the Mo. river all my life and there is nothing wrong with me. Just ask dranben:smile2:.

Tom

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    And im going in a boat with you.:crazy:

13. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Yea. Boy are we going to have a good emit:confused2:.

Tom

14. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    matt i believe you are correct. i would rather eat a fish out of the river than a lake anyday. i myself do also believe that a fish out of the river tastes different than a fish out of a lake. they seem to taste better.

15. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    its all about how you prepare them.soaking them in salt water definetly takes the blood and the bitter taste out. I say the spicier the better

16. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    most definatly. i love a spicy batter on my fish.

17. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    if you are camping then you can put them into tin foil and throw some cajun seasoning and some hot sauce then just set it in the fire!!!!

18. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    That Hot Sauce sounds good i should of fried them like a hot wing , gonna try it like that next time...