Eating Rabbits

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Hoghunter, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Hoghunter

Hoghunter New Member

I have been killing a few rabbits on a place I have permission to hunt this summer. I heard you are not supposed to eat rabbits in months without the letter R in them, IE, summer. But I have a bunch killed skinned and wrapped and want to eat them. I know one concern is worms but if I cook them all the way, do I still have to worry about anything?

2. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I was told that you cant kill them in summer months
    only in winter cause of deasies
    you can eat them in summer as along as they were killed in winter

3. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Only months with the letter "R", same as oysters! When the water starts to get cool again :big_smile: you'll be fine. Honestly, I have no earthly idea about rabbits. Saw some in the frozen section the other day at my local grocery though- that was interesting. I thought only in Europe!

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It is up to you with rabbits and oysters.The rabbits get Grubs under their skin called "Wolves"in summer in some areas.Also the female may be with young from Feb.through Sept.in South Georgia.They eat good year round.I don;t believe in wasting.I always carried a heavy duty home made SS Oyster knife in my salt water fishing boats.I ate Oysters on low tide year round if I was In a clean area.I did not have to worry about spoilage in the hottest weather as I ate them as I collected them.I have eaten them day and night year round.Oysters are "Milting"(reproducing) as we call it and have a slightly different taste in warm weather.If you can get over the Idea and the mushiness,a fresh live,raw shrimp is the best tasting of all.The small snails on the Marsh Grass are tasty and were much valued by the Indians.peewee-williams

5. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't worry. Many people have mis-conceptions about hunting or eating rabbits in the warmer months. The truth is the disease or illness that people are actually referring to (Tularemia) is a threat all year round. Even during hunting season. Tularemia does not just come from rabbits, it can also be carried by deer flies and ticks. The most common exposure for hunters is contact with an infected animals blood. And accordingly most cases are reported during the winter. Bottom line is you have just as much chance of getting Tularemia in December as you do now. We all need to remember to take precautions when cleaning or dressing any animal, especially if we have open wounds or sores on our hands.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never heard that about rabbits. Growing up we ate them year round are when ever my dad got in the mood to pick off a few. My mom would fry, stew are roast them and I can't recall ever getting sick but then agian everyone in my family has cast iron stomachs.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Never knew that, always figured there was a hunting season for some reason though.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    You'll be fine,make sure you cook to an internal temp of 165.That shouldn't be a problem,as most rabbit dishes call for a length of braising or simmering.I've cleaned a lot of game,but rabbits have got to be the stinkiest ones of them all,except maybe a gut shot deer.Phewwwwwww?

9. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC

I agree! thats what my dad always said and he showed me the wolves. course if you cooked the wolve :eek:oooh: by accident it probly wouldn't hurt you.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Welcome to the site. I am curious as to what state you live in. In this part of the country it's not even close to rabbit season yet. If I knew where you lived maybe I could hunt year round? :smile2:

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The wolves were a grub that gets under the skin and did not enter the meat.They are mostly found high up on the back where the animal can not scratch or clean.They come off with the skin.I have found them once on a house cat and once on my Basset Hound.I read a article once that said they did not hurt the meat and the meat was safe to eat.In the fall,the squirrels and rabbits will have them until cold weather sets in.In the rural South of the 50's much of the small game was considered pests and their was no restrictions of any type on killing it.People often rode around on the hoods of vehicles at night and shot them.People ate what they could find year round,as there was no welfare to fill a empty belly.Even into the late 60's small game (as we call it today) caused extensive damage to crops in many areas.It is unbelievable the damage rabbits,squirrels or coons can cause to crops when they reach epidemic populations.This seemed to stop with with the use of the new pesticides.The small game and game birds seemed to get scarce and disappear.peewee-williams

12. badcat

badcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    the smelliest animal i ever peeled was a mink. rabbits are very tasty, the gravy is even better

13. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well one thing u wanna do when u clean the rabbit is check the liver...

there should be NO scars or sists or white spots... IT SHOULD BE CLEAN AND SMOOTH

if it has ANYTHING ON IT DONT EAT IT.....

its what i go by and if it does have anything on it i throw it away... cause it is diseased

Jeff

14. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree with peewee. The grub that gets under the hide of squirrels, and rabbits before cold weather sets in is a bot fly larvae. If you have never seem one, it will gross you out. It does not however, harm the meat in any way. If it does gross you out you can eat it. I am not even going to mention seasons, and game laws. I have seen the times when folks supplemented their food stock with them to get by. If you do shoot some with the intentions, of eating during the hot summer, clean them quickly, put in a refrigerator in water for a spell. Jack.

15. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Couple questions for you guys...

When IS rabbit season? (in California at least)

Can you use a high powered air rifle or is a true firearm required?

If not using a true firearm, do all the same laws still apply, and do you still have to have a hunting license?

In a nutshell, I'm looking to suppliment our groceries and save some money in the immidiate future here, but have niether a hunting license nor a true firearm, and the expense for either defeats the purpose... My air rifle is more than powerful enough to drop a decent sized critter like a rabit, squirrel, racoon, beaver, possum, or most anything else I've seen 'round here though, short of maybe a coyote or bobcat (maybe). Long story if I go into it any further than that.

If legallities prevent me from picking off a few rabbits or tree squirrels, are there any other "small game" animals, or decent eating small animals that are not legally considered "game animals" that I could go after in California with an air riffle and without needing a hunting license to put a little extra meat on the table for thenext month or two?

16. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    i only eat rabbit after a couple of good frosts have hit. that is what i've always done and it works for me

17. keeyaawww....you get to hunt dem year round, me I goin huntin over dere me...Dey are called sores from where I come from...dey say u look under da neck and see if dey have a sore, or also worms....so we dont kill dem until the first frost, its supposed to kill dem worms...but maybe if its a big Swamp rabbit well den deres assepshun

18. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm with the rest of em. Doesn't hurt to eat them as long as cleaned and cooked properly.

There was an old wives tale when I was growing up that the rabbits had "rabbit fever" and carried it until after the first frost and you shouldn't ever eat one until then.

This is going to definitely be a good year for rabbits around here. Been seeing lots of them coming back from fishing at night and early in the morning right here in the yard. My little cocker pup loves to chase them and the deer too.

19. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I certainly understand some people's reluctance to consume a rabbit that may have warbles, fleas, tularemia, or a spotted liver. But these parasites or illnesses don't just disappear at the "first frost". And just because you can't see them, it doesn't mean they're not infected. I am quite sure that anyone that eats rabbit occasionally has at some point eaten an "unhealthy" one. How many people do you know that have actually gotten ill from one? The truth is, we all expose ourselves to a much greater biological and environmental threat each time we go fishing. Most of us fish in waters that are contaminated with e-coli, giardia, coliform, salmonella, staph, etc.... Not to even mention the toxic chemical hazards present in most waters. You are at a much greater risk of infection by putting your hand in the water at your favorite fishing hole than you are eating a rabbit in August.

20. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    there was a rabbit in the yard today and i wanted to get my gun and shot it but i didn't i said i would wait til it have more the i can eat more of the.