eating large catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman-j, Jan 21, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I've only caught on large one so far in my life and released it because I figured it wasn't going to taste good. Someone once told me to hang large catfish from a tree limb and cut the tail off to let it bleed out. This is supposed to make it taste better. Any comments?:confused2:

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah, i have comments for ya but ill say this instead. lol be sure to check your local water quality and fish consumption listings. if those big ones are safe to eat in your area then yes hang it up and let it drain. you will also want to trim all the red/brown meat off the sides. that will improve the taste of almost any fish you clean!

enjoy,RS

PS. WELCOME TO THE B.O.C. AND IF THAT FISH IN YOUR AVITAR ISNT BIG THEN ILL BE RITE OVER TO FISH WITH YOU!!!! LOL

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have no idea why you want to eat the big ones. The smaller cats taste better, have less toxics, and really don't do much to propagate the species as a large fish does. They don't lay near as many eggs during the spaw syr I believe I've heard the fry survival rate is much greater than that of the smaller fish. Of course it is a matter of personal preference, and I know that the fish and game of each state belongs to the citizens of that state. I try not be a bleeding heart, but its just senseless to keep and kill the fish because it is a big one.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    You can eat the big ones but you have to prep it different and waste alot of the fish . It tends to be mussy and tastes way different then 10 pound and under fish . I would stick to the eater size cats 15 pounds and under . Anything over that makes for a good picture and a nice fish to be caught again by others . I take alot of fish each year my family loves it but i take none over 10 pounds and end up with a freezer full .

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer to let the big ones go and live on. If I need fish for the freezer...I like to keep the delicious tasting fish under 8 lbs or so. I have kept bigger ones, But have noticed I prefer the smaller ones for table quality!!!:wink:

6. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    unless the bigun is gut hooked CPR PLEASE !

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff. I agree with Floyd and Lawrence.... Yes, you can eat them, but is it really worth all the extra trouble? No, they're not going to be as good as the smaller fish.

Picture this..... You're out fishing your favorite hole and catch a trophy size catfish. You've got a buddy with you and he takes pictures of you and the fish. You're going to remember that moment forever and have pictures to back up those well deserved bragging rights. Six months later, you and your buddy are fishing the same spot and he catches a trophy size catfish. As you're taking pictures of him with the big cat, the two of you notice that the fish has the same markings as the one you caught. Yep, it's the same fish. Now you're buddy is feeling good about catching it and you're feeling good about releasing it back so he could get the chance....

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here's how I see it, eating a 50lb adult/elderly fish of any kind is like eating an old bull. The meat is old, tough, and not too tasty. But eating the smaller ones is like eating the calf/veal. The meat is more tender, not too fishy, and delicious.

Also an old/elderly fish has been soaking in the water for a very long time thus the meat has more contaminants in them. Not too many places in in the US is 100% clean.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff. You picked a heck of a topic for being a newbie, with a hellova thread name also. LMAO.. I give you respect for fartin flames this early!:smile2: Out of all seriousness, Alot of us here support the preservation of larger, breeding fish, if you haven't figured that out already. So don't be suprised by some the responses to your question. I don't know much about eating larger cats myself either. I keep some small ones to eat, and enjoy the taste of them. Nothing wrong with keeping fish to eat, just need to do it in a manangable form in my opinion. I know some people that keep large fish, I don't agree with it, but they eat em and don't complain about the taste... welcome to the site again bro, looks like your getting your feet wet!:roll_eyes::wink: rollo

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I have to say that I have ate big fish( Not so Fast Bro's)It was a have to case,They both were gut hooked bad and would have died anyway so I figured I fry-em up.

In 30yrs I have only killed 1 big flathead and 0 small ones,all fleatheads go back..For some reason they are super special fish to me.( ATTITUDE PROBLEM - Their mean as FIRE):wink:

But anyway The Flathead--It was cleaned and was very good, cut into steaks like you cut tenderlions after its trimed of all muddy looking greasy stuff and rinsed till pearl white, and then rolled in some of my secret recipie.:eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Sorry Guys I got carried away there for a great moment in my life.:smile2:

Bluecats I have had 2 big ones die on me and I gave one away ,the first 20#I tried to eat,,Meat was stringy and tough. never again,Also I release all Blues over 5lbs..

Channels - Eatem all.The smaller 3-6lb fish are mainly what I keep though early in the year, to fill the freezer for the yr, then its Big Fish time the rest of the yr for me..

Small fish would be a better eating fish to me.

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    CPR???

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    What I consider to be large varies from what others think. The biggest I've ever caught was a 28# flathead. We just don't have that many cats caught around here over 10 LBS. The problem we have here sometimes is over population/not enough forage When a lake here gets overpopulated with shad Ne Game and Farts usually panics and they kill the lake and start over. As if shad are a plague or something. I would consider anything over 10# around here large because it's uncommon but I'd still eat one every now and then if I caught one.anything over 15# I'd probably throw back.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Catch Photo Release! im with kenny channels are for eating flats and blues usually get released to fight another day. i doo keep the occational smaller blues but the flats are few and far between.

14. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    One reason why I prefer to keep the smaller fish is because the bigger ones being killed for eatery are more detrimental to the species. A large fish being taken and killed off can over time make the species suffer. The smaller fish are better because they doing less to contribute to the fish species in your water. They produce less spawn and are better to eat anyhow considering they have been alive for a shorter amount of time, hence less toxins and nasty gunk you do not want. Just my two cents, and welcome to the BOC

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I was afraid mouth to mouth was being suggested LOL.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeff,Let me say Welcome to the BOC. Now I'll tell ya my point of view and I'll most likly get bashed for it ,But oh well,I figure its a free country.

I only keep fish over 3 lbs,Why? because there is a variable of amount of work involved to edible meat procured. Most larger fish are more easily cleaned for the amount of meat ya get from them. I have never caught anything over 17lbs,So if I catch a huge fish,I dont know if I will keep it,But I do know I dont fish for the fun of it ,I fish to supply food on my table ,the enjoyment is just something that I get while doing it. OH ,by the way if ya kill those 1-3 lbrs ,they wont ever get bigger.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats another good reason to release bigger fish .... they eat more keeping the population more even.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC, Jeff!

Bill in SC