Eating Gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by flathead81, Jun 6, 2006.

1. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    just wonderiing if anyone eats the longnose river gar im in southeren il and there thick in every river i fish. we catch them all the time just didnt know if they were any good to eat. if you do eat them how do you clean and cook them thanks

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    It's a bit of a pain but gar meat is good. Cut of the head and then take snipes or a knife and skin out the meat by scraping and cutting against the in side of the hard skin then clean it up and chop in to steaks (there seams to be mostly 1 large bone in the middle) or fillet the meat off. The meat may seem a little mushey but as soon as you put the fire on it it tightens up like a pork chop ,great for grilling.

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I always thought that gar was ''trash meat'',its actaully pretty darn good. There are all kinds of recipies for cooking the meat from frying it to gar patties to gar balls all are pretty good. The only problam is skinning the gar,it aint a easy job.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have gotten several large longnose gar bowfishing and they are good to eat. To clean them you need need a pair of tin snips and a good sharp knife. The reason for the tin snips is because of the tough hide with the thick scales. Be careful because the scales of this fish are sharp and will cut you.
    First take the tinsnips and starting about 2" behind the top of his head and make a cut if you will down both sides of the gar and one long opening down the middle of the back to the tail. Then make a cut down each side down each side by the tail. Then take your sharp knife and start cuttting the shin off around each side. Once you get the skin off on both sides you cut down on both sides of the backbone and remove the meat. It will be like removing the back strap off a deer. The meat is white and boneless. Fry it up any way you want. If you get one give it a try it will surprise you.

5. jovy1097

jovy1097 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I love gar meat. Clean the fish as already described and cook like you would any other fish. It's a very white and firm meat. I personally like it better than catfish since it's less oily.

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Leave the head on and wrap a rag around the bill, great for getting a grip on the slimy rascals. I also use catfish "skinning" pliers on my gar, once you've made the cut down the back and on the sides you can just grab the skin with the pliers and yank................will pull easily to how ever far you've made your cut, having the head on really helps here. I also cut off any grey colored meat on the loin piece, to fishy for my liking.

Boil with a spice bag, chill, serve with cocktail sauce, very tasty.

7. r_mountain

r_mountain New Member

State:
    *required*
    Look ln the library. Thier are directions on dressing gar with pictures.

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Guys, Daddy had the best way of cleaning gar I've ever seen. He would hold it by the head like has already been described. He would take a hatchet and start around the back of the stomach cavity and steak up the fish into 1 and 1/2 inch steaks. Then he would take the steaks and run his knife around it just under the skin and then you have a nice little steak and a circle of skin. We ate them fried or Mom would pressure cook and can them and use them to make fish patties. Hope this helps.

ST

9. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    the way I have seen them cleaned is basically the same. taks a machete and cut head and tail off leavin cylinder, then tin snips to cut up back and take out the tenderloins:smile2:

10. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have heard it is good, but they don't live in my area.

11. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My neighbor loves gar and brags about it.

12. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    The problem of eating long nose or other gar is getting a bigger one (for me) above 5 lbs. And then there is the cleaning, which is a bit tough. They are supposed to be kept fresh by chlling the meat right away after cleaning or cooking. A firn textured meat and I wish that I could catch more large ones. My big goal is to go for Alligator Gar some day. "Have rod - will travel" Hannbial Mike

13. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i ate my first gar this weekend and i was impressed. i just cut the head off and cut down its belly and pulled out all the guts and filleted the meat off from the inside cutting along the skin. the meat was real white and firm. i cooked this one over a fire, id like to try frying some up next time.

14. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm sold. The next gar I catch is snack'ems.

15. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    First step is skinning the fish. Attach a chain to the fish's mouth, attach the other to the back of your truck. Drag gar at 35 m.p.h. until sparks stop flying.......

16. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hmm i'll have to put that next to carp on my "Supposed trash fish but i should try it because i heard its good" list....

17. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I would like to try it, but haven't caught one big enough to bother with it.

18. Suwannee Cat

Suwannee Cat New Member

State:
    Florida
    An old timer down here in Florida told me how they ate it.
    Said chunk the back strap meat up into bite size nuggets, drop in boiling salted water till done then dip em in melted butter and you will swear you are eating lobster. Well I tried it and he was right. There was almost a fight for the last chunks.Lake lobster.
    Listen to your elders!

19. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have used that style of cooking on Halibut, but I also added sugar to the boil mix. They call it poor man's lobster. I used quite a bit of salt and sugar. Excellent idea, now I just need to pick up "Believer, MRR, Crawdad, and a couple others to go on a "Big Gar Safari". I have trouble finding big gar around here. Hannibal Mike

20. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I caught a nice 6lb gar around a month ago or so and didnt even think you could eat them. So I tossed it back into the river, I will give the next one a try and see how it is.