Eating gar???

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by thecatman, May 15, 2009.

1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    hey guys i have often heard that gar is some great eating and have not tried it yet but i did clean one last night and i must say if i didnt know any better i would say it looks just like raw chicken tenders a very white meat any ideas on how to fix it baked fried grilled or what let me know what yall think

2. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    My Grandfather was a commercial fisherman on the Mississippi and St Croix Rivers in Wisconsin and he would occasionally keep a couple and Grandma would pickle them. He cleaned them with a hatchet because they are tough to skin and hard on knives

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Brandon,Check out the Member cookbook in the Diner section its in the member special topics section.

4. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I've had it in the past. Not to bad deep fried. Just don't eat the roe it has a toxin which can kill.

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I GUESS IM GONNA HAVE TO GIVE GAR A TRY.SEEMS LIKE IM THE ONLY ONE WHOS HAS NOT ATE ANY YET.

6. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I catch a lot of gar, but have never ate one. They look hard to clean and wouldn't have much meat on them.

7. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Friend of mine topd me about his Das's recipe.

Cook over an open fire.
    Rap in chicken wire fence.
    When cooked, remove wire, throw fish away and eat fence.

Never tried myself. LOL

8. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gar is great eating as long as you know how to clean them out. There is a trick to it + a sharp knife..... I just deep fry them up with a good batter. good eating...

9. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So here is the best way I have found to clean these fish. SHARP KNIFE.#1 gut the thing. #2 Use knife or penny cutters and cut down the center of the back. Then cut allong the groove of the scale down and across the fish. #Then start cutting on the inside of the top edge of the scales. work your way down the length till you are down to the belly. Cut off the head and pull out the two long labs of white meat along the back.

10. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    just remember the eggs and the gonads of a gar are toxic.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My first gar i cleaned broke a knife and then i got smart and cut his head off with a splitting maul and then used a 10" felliet knife and cut around the skin and pulled out the meat. We lightly battered it and fried it. Great tasting, would do it again too.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never ate any gar. Don't know if I ever will...might...I don't know. My question is...If you are only after the backstraps, why bother with the head or guts? I'd just cut down the back with some tin-snips, cut the skin away from the meat, and pull or cut the meat out, and leave the rest intact. Ever seen that catfish video where the guy tries and tries to cut the head off with a dull knife...finally gets it off, then cuts the fillets off anyways? Makes no sense to me, lol.

13. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    A lot of folks know that what is scary or ‘bad’ to some is simply ‘groceries’ to a Cajun so I’ll share some things with you. In Cajun French, the garfish has a couple of names after ‘lunch’ and ‘supper’ - le poisson armé (the armored fish) comes to mind.
    So, here we go. First, you have to catch the gar then we go from there. Gar are difficult to dress, but the meat cooks up white and flaky, and tastes as good as any fish you ever put in your mouth – if you are willing to go to the trouble.
    To clean this critter, take a small one and split him down the top (back) – use gloves! And keep working the skin away from the meat, think like peeling a banana, work on one side then the other. Skin it out, cut off the head and you have the meat. Be sure and remove all traces of the guts, some say the eggs and intestines are poisonous. Cut the meat into chunks and you are set to go. You can simply batter and fry the chunks in hot peanut oil – or you may wish to continue a la Cajun so I’ll tell you one way.

1 garfish - any size or the one you caught
    1/4 cup onions and garlic or use shallots
    2- 3 tbsp low acidic vinegar
    salt, red pepper, and black pepper to the mixture (to taste)

To prepare, mince finely ¼ cup of onion and garlic (or use shallots); to that mixture add the salt, red pepper, black pepper and enough white low acidic vinegar to combine all ingredients. The combination of garlic and vinegar flavor really compliments the gar meat. Make a few slits in the gar roast and stuff the pockets with the spice stuffing. Then season the outside with more salt, black pepper and red pepper, and bake 'til it is flaky.
    Serve him up with some rice and “Laisse Les Bon Temps Rouler!”

14. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ive heard it must be eaten while it is hot , not good after first sitting (leftovers)I was told the meat still bleeds after it cools just curios if thats true, I heard it taste pretty good if prepared correctly,good luck

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i still want to try one of these.