Eating fish from White river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Larry Beever, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    A big hello to my Hoosier brothers! I'm curious
    about how many of you who fish White river and also
    eat the fish you catch.In the past I know there's
    been a lot of advisories about this.I don't know
    what the warnings there are now if any. I'd like
    to fish there myself but I don't like to fish
    anywhere where I can't eat my catch. That's half of the reason I go fishing. Well, I think that
    catching a monster is probably most of the reason! What do you all know about this?

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Most of the time I'm just fishing for sport, but on occasion I will keep fish. I've never kept them out of the river before, but I would think that anywhere north of Broadripple would be alright. But I would give you a big NO for keeping any fish from downtown and on south. That's where you get into the fish consumption advisory areas where they have signs posted at most public access points. I know that once you start to get near the northside of downtown on White River and Fall Creek there are many of those older storm sewers that with heavy rains, also receive sanitary sewer waste, which eventually is dumped right into the streams. But even in the Broadripple area and north of there, I would be weary of eating bottom feeding fish and larger predator fish out of there. Personally I would stick to panfish and smaller bass because they probably don't have as much pollutant build up. If you do eat fish out of there, you should probably make it a once a month/couple of months occurence. Also remember that although the fish look healthy on the outside, doesn't always mean their flesh isn't containing heavy metals or chemicals!

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats good advise rick! you can check consumtion advisories on the web, larry. i never have learned how to insert a link sorry but you will find it.