Eating fish from the Ohio River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
  2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I usually throw back all that I catch in the river. That's mainly because I go to State Lakes and Private Ponds/Lakes for my eaters.
    I know people that eat what they catch from the Ohio and their fine, no problems at all. I don't eat them because the only Cats I target in the Ohio River are Flatties and I only eat 2-5Lb Channels. I'll occasionally catch small Channels in the River but I throw them back because I usually don't catch enough small Channels to keep.
    The one area I fish has HUGE Channels but If their over 5-6Lbs I won't keep them. I let them go so they can breed. Just my choice....:wink::big_smile:

3. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I usually will keep a few fish 10# and under and have fish fries with family and friends. By the time all of that is gone then its sauger time and I love those little buggers. I think if a sauger was glowing in the dark I would still eat it!!:eek:oooh:

4. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Last year I started cleaning and keeping cats 5-6 lbs and under. Soak them in salt water for 36-48 hrs. changing the water several times...freeze..then soak in milk before I fry them. Best catfish I have ever eaten. (The doctors still haven't diagnosed the flourascent green glow I have developed lol...lol) I buy my fish batter from Weisenburger Mills in Midway, KY. You can get it online. In fact, I'm fixing some tomorrow night, cole slaw and corn bread...yum, yum, YUM!! :roll_eyes:

Linda

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I will eat catfish from the river as long as they are 5 pounds or less. That is pretty much my safety net for all water bodies. Heck I would be glowing green by now if I put any stock in those reports.

The chemicals accumlate over time. Smaller fish are not as "dangerous" as the bigger fish.

6. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I ate a small flathead I caught once. I have eaten plenty of summer Stripers and winter Saugers. YUMMY!

7. Kmann

Kmann New Member

State:
    Crestwood, Kent
  8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i will eat small flatheads , white bass and sauger..