Eating Fish From The Mississippi

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 21, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Is it safe or a good idea to eat the fish caught out of the Mississippi around St. Louis // Alton area, I was told today that they would never eat anything caught out of the River around here.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes it is ok to eat the fish. Just dont eat the big ones. CPR any fish over 10lbs. Plus the smaller ones are better to eat anyways and dont have the mercury levels the bigger ones do. Other than that I have ate them and there is nothing wrong with me although that could be debated. But yea they are fine to eat just keep and eat the small ones and CPR the big ones to catch another day.

3. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Its seems like i remember reading a article in a magzine about eating catfish from the miss. & other lakes in Il., It said something about u only want to eat so many pounds a yr. or in a 6 month period because of high mercury levels? Check w/ Il. dept. of nat. history survey. I personally have eaten catfish from the miss. and i'm just f-f-f-fine. TeamCatHazzard can back me on this one.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I can back you on this one . I have eaten catfish out of the mississippi all my life. I think it come's in handy to glow in the dark, I do'nt have to carry a lite when night fishing, or when the electricity goes out at home everybody huddles around me.LOL It's fine to eat the smaller ones.

5. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    LOL I agree RIP. As far as Justin (eflow) goes, I guess it can be debatable about the impact it has had on us. :) Just messin with ya. I personally can see better havin this 3rd eyeball in my head.

6. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I work in the Radiology department at the hospital and I've gotten more radiation than a person should ever have in life, used to work on B52'S and the systems I used to work on we had to radiate on the ground---and thinking that the radiation required to jam other aircraft in the air has to be immense. So as you all said I figure I should be O.K. with a little mercury in my system.

7. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I bet that third eyeball comes in handy watching your fishing pole at night. You can also close the other two and get some sleep...lol

8. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Yea it does come in handy, but orderin special glasses get expensive, but it does come in handy when workin long shifts I can take a nap and keep that one eye open...(I think thats a song). LOL

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have eaten & do eat catfish from the Mississippi. I try to keep it to a minimum though. Lake/pond fish taste better anyway! :)

Eric