Eating Crawfish?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by miichael, Jul 11, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone ever eat any craw fish? i love crab legs and lobster was thinking about boiling some and giving them a try. If anyone has any recipes/info let me know.

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love crawfish boiled in old bay mmm good

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I love crawfish in alfredo sauce for pasta. They're great eating, especially if you caught a mess yourself, so they are practically free. Enjoy

SudDawg

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

i LOVE BOILED IN CAJUN SPICES.mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmm good

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I love crawfish most any way but leave the old bay off man that stuff just ain't fit for food.

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    We eat crawfish all the time here in Louisiana. Boil themm, pop the heads off peal and eat. We use a special crawfish boil and do not know if you can find it in your area. If not give me a PM with your address and other information and I can send you some. They are better spicey.

7. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeh when i was stationed in virginia my buddy i was roomed up with made crawfish all the time they were good

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Are you kiddin !! Crawfish is to die for man, we used to have crawfish boils all the time at my grandfathers in Lake Charles, we always had enough to feed the neighborhood. Just can't get enough of that crawfish man.

:big_smile_2: :still_dreaming:

9. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Mmmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmm!!!

I love crawfish! They are so easy to cook too! Add enough water to a pot to cover the buggers, add some cajun seasoning, (add corn, potatoes, mushrooms, onions ifn you wanna), bring it to a boil, boil about 5 minutes, turn off heat, cover, let simmer about 10-15 minutes. Dump 'em out on the table and go at 'em!

If you try 'em once, you'll be hooked!

Let us know what you think!

10. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    When I was stationed down in Pascagoula Miss. I bought them already to go from a store. MMMMMMMmmmmmm good. Remember to suck the head.

I have bought them up here in Ohio and they just didn't compare.

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    While growing up, I'm not quite sure which I enjoyed more running set lines or checking a half dozen crawdad traps each morning. IMO though water quality plays a big portion in crawdads taste. I use to catch them out a big clear lake in Missouri then I caught some from a local pond and about puked.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Michael, Here is a couple of ways that I love crawfish.

Crawdad Boil Per 100 to 150 Crawdads.

Fill pot wheel barrow or what ever your using with enough water to cover crawdads. Add a half a box of salt and let them soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and rinse with fresh water at least twice. This will clean them out.

Fill cooking pot with water ( dont over fill leave room for crawdads ) add lemon slices - small whole onions and crab boil( on the crab boil I use bags + a little of the liquid) Bring contents to a boil then drop in the live crawdads this will kill your boil bring back to a rolling boil and cook for 3 minutes remove crawdads and drain. ( remember to inspect crawdads at this point any crawdads that do not have curled tails throw them away. If the tail is straight they may make you sick.) Now place cooked crawdads in the bottom of a big ice chest and coat with Tonys Chacheres creole seasoning. Then shut the lid tight each time you add another batch add more seasoning.
    If you are boiling new potatoes and corn to go with the crawdads. Bring the same mixture to a rolling boil then put in potatoes and corn this will kill the boil. bring back to a rolling boil put in potatoes and corn bring back to a rolling boil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and drain dump into crawdad chest and season the same as crawdads.
    When the last batch is done leave in the ice chest for 15 minutes then dump ice chest onto a table and get after it.
    The live crawdads can be substituted with pre-cooked crawdads they are just as good and less trouble but cost more.

Crawfish Etoufee
    I made this at deer camp last year and everyone really liked it. Probably will have to make it again this year
    Ingredients

2 - 12 oz. packages of crawfish tails ( Peeled )
    1 - 1 lb. package of medium shrimp ( peeled )
    1 large can of rotel ( 26 OZ. )
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes 9 26 oz. )
    1 stick of butter
    2 large cans of mushroom soup
    2 medium sized onions ( Diced )
    Tonys chacheres original creole seasoning
    1 bell pepper ( Diced )
    Rice

In butter sautes diced onions, bell pepper and peeled shrimp until the onions are tender. Add crawfish tails and continue for another 3 to 5 minutes. Season with creole seasoning to taste. Add remaining ingredients season to taste and simmer. When done pour over rice and serve.

Hope you ltry them they are both really good

13. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i hear they are good but im looking for good crawfish spots. my lake i fish has em but not much cuz the catfish LOVE THEM! its basically eating a freshwater lobster!:lol:

14. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wow i cant believe all the posts. Most folks around here say they never eat them. Im gonna give em a try saturday!

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Oh man is cajun crawfish some good eating. It might sound gross, but sucking their brains out aint bad eating either.

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If I ever get around to building some traps I am going to try my luck out in the creeks at my father inlaws farm. Maybe I will get to the traps this weekend.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I love crawdads but dont do the brain sucking thing havent been that drunk yet:big_smile:

18. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    im born and raised in south la and have cooked crawfish easily 200 times in my life, and this is my recipe i have perfected over the years...
    i catch most of my crawfish in pillow traps i make all throughout the season...ya'll are gonna love this recipe. as with building a house, there are certain steps to be done at certain times, i went into detail, so make sure u do it in that order...kinda depends on how much ur boilin'...but here's a sack recipe
    oh a sack's about 30-40lbs. !!!!!!!!!!!!ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 large naval oranges (squeezed, whole)
    1 bag onions (halved)
    8-10 heads garlic (whole)
    1 bag lemons (squeezed, whole)
    1 stalk celery (cut in bout' 1/2" pieces)
    1/2 bottle zatarains liquid crab boil
    3/4 cajunland large jar powdered crab boil
    6 zatarains or cajunland boiling bags
    1 large bag corn (frozen)
    1 big bag creamer or "new" potatoes
    2-3 large packages fresh mushrooms
    1/3 bottle salt
    30-40 bay leaves or just a branch off a bay tree stem and all
    1/2 bottle louisiana hot sauce or other

i just eyeball amount of water...but just enough to cover crawfish.
    oh!! do not forget to purge the crawfish! a mouthful of sand in every bite is damn unpleasant! just put the crawfish into a ice chest or something and cover with water, add about 1-1/2 or 2 containers of salt to them and gently stir to dissolve salt, let stand for 6-7 minutes...not too long though, or they'll drown! anyways, like i said just enough water in pot to cover crawfish (somewhere around 10-13 gallons), add sqeezed oranges, lemons, cut celery, halved onions, bay leaves, garlic, and boiling bags and bring to boil for 3-4 minutes.
    add powdered crab boil, 1/2 bottle liquid, hot sauce, salt,
    bring back to boil.
    add crawfish and potatoes, bring back to boil and let boil for 7-8 min.
    turn off, remove lid, add corn and mushrooms and stir in, then add either 3 small or one big bag ice and pull out the hose and start wetting the outside of the pot to reduce heat...i know it sound crazy but it works.
    from the time the fire goes out time about 12-15 min. you will know they are ready when 90% of the crawfish sink and only a couple of handfulls are floating.
    when the ice is added, it drastically reduces the temperature which makes the crawfish suck in the boil and sink a lot quicker than without. so overcooking CANNOT happen
    corn will cook during soaking time and also help to reduce temp. b/c it is frozen. so make sure to keep corn frozen. again, sounds crazy when to put in potatoes and corn, but new potatoes are small and cook quickly and corn only needs that 12-15 min to cook and will not be overcooked or overseasoned from sitting in the water too long, which will happen if the corn goes in too quickly...same thing with the potatoes and mushrooms.

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I like em dipped in melted butter with just a dash of horse radish sauce. Ohhh-----so good!!!!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

20. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    crawfish are good give them a try