Eating Catfish

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by LloydTheFisherman, Jul 16, 2009.

1. LloydTheFisherman

LloydTheFisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man I wish I could eat catfish three times a week. I really love the taste of it since I caught my own and cooked it for the first time.

The only problem is that they keep saying to much mercury, PCB and other contamenants.

I wish the lakes and rivers were cleaner I wouild eat catfish at least three times a week and other fish as well.

I can really eat fish about five times a day with a good cold beer, it just feels so good to me.

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I gotta agree Lloyd! There is nothin better than a catfish fillet from a fish you caught. Its pretty sad what we have done to our rivers.:sad2:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    They say "It's safe to eat catfish here, if you only consume 1 pound a week or less.". :crazy:
    I'm tellin ya when I hear that, I don't want to eat any.

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Amen to that, Lloyd! And welcome to the BOC, I'm sure you'll learn a ton here!

5. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    where i live, they say DO NOT EAT. any fish, in any amount. and the best the state gets in other places is do not eat more than 2 meals per month. thats the best for the entire state, any river system.

6. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    i know 3 of my buddys eat 3-4 times a week since 20+ years ago and they are fine but they dont eat heads/belly/pices ect... only the top portion and no red meat.

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I just choked down some blue fillets outa the MO, am I gonna die or glow in the dark?

8. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: At least you won't have to buy glowsticks?

9. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can remember my Grand-dad talking about not keeping the bigguns cause they were for one: old fish that had been in the river for a longer time so they had higher levels of contaminants in em and for two: they were the fish that made all the babies that were there for us to eat. Hell he was tlaking like that back in the 70's. I don't know if it was a common way of thinkin' then ya know I was only born in '65. I lived like that for so long though that's just the way we always did it, and I've been eating fish that I've caught of all species anytime I have some and want to cook it. Grammaw even taught me how to can carp.

but then again my wife and I are both smokers, and we probbly drink too much beer too.

besides just being humorous I'm just sayin -- somethin's gonna kill me one of these days but while I'm livin' I'm gonna live!

my wife likes this Johnny Lang song I don't know for sure who wrote the lyrics but it asks the question "are you dying to live, or just living to die?"

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You had one smart Grandfather. Way ahead of his time.

11. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Back in the mid 60s to early 70s folks were told not to eat any fish from Lake Michigan around the Chicago area, a long time family tradition was "Smelt fishing" in and around Burnham harbor across from Soldiers field. A 5 gal bucket full (or 2) was a just reward for a few hours of labor. These tasteee
    little critters sure go good with a cold beer or two or three or ---,:roll_eyes:
    any way after a few programs to control waste water run off, and industrial discharge into the watershed contributaries the amount of fish consumed was raised from none to some, from some to more, and from more to more, any way you get the picture. ( IT CAN GET BETTER)
    It is sad what has happened to the watersheds of this great county we all call home, but what can 1 guy do about that,
    :0a36:
    Maybe in the future as in the past, a few guys can get together and pressure our elected officals into some kind of "Cleaner Water Act" or provisions to the current act of 1972. Major steps have been made in this program, but I personally feel there is a lot more that can be done.
    The current economic situation being what it is a lot more people are turning to eating fish just to fill their families needs, it's a shame they might be poisining themselves.

We all have our favorite stories about fishing with, gandpa or dear ole dad, or the kid down the road we grew up with. Without cleaner water will our kids, our grandkids, or our buddies grandkids be able to share stories of the same.

Sorry, got a little carried away there, but I think everyone can see where I'm going with this.

keep fit:0a32: , eat healthy:002:, die anyway:eek:oooh:

12. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was lucky enough to have more than one smart Grandfather, "step" ain't a word in my family. My three countem three grampaws all were like that but mainly in my middle teen years my Grampaw Merlin T. Meisenheimer (the Osage river boat Grand-dad) and when I was younger "Dah-EE" Lloyd Lee Callahan (Little Osage, Marmaton, Osage, Schell City Area) and Grampaw Arvin Armstrong (He loved Stockton and Walleyes) were all influences on my fishin' growin up.

Now it's my turn to be a Grampaw and I'm jumpin in with both feet like everthaing else don't do nuthin' haffazzed do it right or don't do it at all. Like my yard. Mow it right or don't even mow, go fishin like I've done too many days. I guess my yard is like my hair, if it was meant to be short, it wouldn't grow!!! Not now though that we got our wonderful new house in this snooty subdivision right outside Little Platte Park on Smithville there's a Property Owner's Association that will say I go fishin' too much and don't mow my yard enough. Maybe I oughta mow it real short like give the yard a crew cut and then say my sprinkler system is busted and let it scorch so I don't have to mow it again till March or somethin!!

No, my wife likes it like a big ol' green shag carpet, and so does my granddaughter so it's gettin mowed this evening and I ain't goin' fishin'... but the three lil dink 16-18 inch channels I caught yesterday are fillets for her dinner tonight and they are UNFROZEN just refrigerated overnight and man even a 3 year old can tell the difference between FRESH and THAWED OUT.

:big_smile: Life is good!

13. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Loyd

I have to agree with you man there ant nothin better than a good old catfish fry, right out on the river bank, get that"" dutch oven a smokin,and I ant a jokein""

we have the same problem around here in some lakes, I live on the Current River and it is a Spring fed river, starts up in Missouri, so it is not as bad as some place, but the state still ask that you dont consume or eat more than a couple of time a month, it is in the State Regulations Hand Book, so it is all over not just where you live.