Eating Catfish - Whats your favorite kind to eat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Benny, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Benny

Benny New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey All,

What's your favorite type of cat to eat? blue, channel, flathead, bull head?

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Whole fry sized channels are my favorite. Flatheads are next. I don't keep much over 2 or 3 lbs anymore. Just prefer the smaller ones.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Any of the above that is filleted, fried, and slathered in tarter sauce with hush puppies and cole slaw on the side

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've taken a real liking to fried bullheads:)

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I prefer catfish... under 10 pounds... either blue, flat or channel. Fileted, soaked in milk for 10 minutes then dredged in my secret breading before being dropped in a deep oil fryer. Mmmmm... I'm getting hungry.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Personally prefer flatties, but any catfish is better then none at all. Never did take a liking to bullheads though.

Does everyone soak their fish in milk? I've heard/seen it probably a hundred times, but never tried it. Can someone tell me what's different about the taste from soaking it in milk?

Thanks
    SudDawg

7. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i perfer the big flats. over 20 pounds. the trick is to take the time to peal every mud vain out......well most of them.ummmmmmm.........

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have never caught a flat or a blue, but I have to say Bullhead are really hard to beat. MMm mmm good.

9. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like channels in the 1 1/2 to 5 lb range. I also fillet everything. I can't stand bones.

10. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Any kind fried, with a big scoop of homemade tarder sauce on the side.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Channels get my vote,to me nothings better then a fresh channel cat.I dont care for bullheads to much.

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    flats, channels, blues in that order. I do like the smaller ones the best, release all over 6 or 8# keep the big GENE POOLS GOING

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Like the channels in about 1 to 1-1/2 pound range. I never put tarter sauce on channels, covers up the good taste too much.

Don't know what soaking them in milk does but a friend who lived in Illinois, when I gave her some channels caught in the Illinois River would spread baking soda in a 11X13 cake pan, put in the fish and cover with more baking soda. Claims it removes the muddy taste. Haven't ever tried it myself.

14. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I like any kind as long as it is catfish. Deep fried or cooked on the grill.

15. muddyIA

muddyIA New Member

State:
    Iowa
    After looking at the fish tissue analysis of heavy metals I am a big fan of smaller fish, especially flats. Big fish just collect more of the "bad stuff" off the river bottoms.

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i will eat any catfish,so longs as i cacth it

17. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    For me, I would say, Flats, Blues, then Channel. The fish below 10lb make the best eating. On the Blues, remove all the fat and the red down the laterial line and you have some very good eating. I remove the fat from all my Cats. Can't beat the tast of fresh Cats from the river.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    How many of you Arkies know that you're allowed TWO limits of catfish a day? If you're on any of several lakes or rivers, you are allowed a second limit of 10 channel cats; on Lake Chicot, there is no limit on channels; on the Arkansas, the second limit only applies to channels under 16". Since I'm usually fishing the Arkansas, I'll occasionally keep a few of these small channels for me to eat; unfortunately, the rest of my family insist that their catfish be filleted. For filleting, I keep cats from about 1-1/2# up to 10# or so. The larger fillets are earmarked for broiling; the others for frying. I mostly eat blues. I like flatheads, but don't catch many of them. I mix some Tony Chacere's seasoning in with my corn meal before rolling the fillets and deep frying them; I'd bet that there's some TSS seasoning that would taste even better, but I haven't tried it yet. Sometimes, instead of cornmeal, I'll use a batter of Bisquick and beer (or club soda).

Also, when I was looking at the 2006 regulations, I noticed that Arkansas has adopted the same 34" law that Tennessee passed a couple of years ago, but it only applies to channels and flatheads.

19. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can agree with that. Some of the best catfish I have ever had came from a cold water river about 3 miles outside the Great Smokey Mountains National PArk. I was fishing for trout with worms, and I caught a 2lb channel. Over the next 2 hours we had four small channel cats to take to camp and eat. We put them in aluminum foil with lemon juice, butter, and some pepper and cooked them in the camp fire. Some of the best fish I have had, period.

20. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    For eatting I like blues and channels around 3 to 5lb. range.