Eating catfish out of the Missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 27, 2009.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been told by various people over the years that if you put catfish caught out of the Missouri river in a tank of water for a few days, it will clean them out so they aren't dangerous to eat. I really don't think this is true but thought I'd ask you guys.

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fish in the Mo are just fine for eaten. Most of the stuff thats bad is in the fat and red meat what lil traces there are. And what a lot of peeps dont know is mercery is natural in almost all waters. We have done a good job on stemming some of the other stuff goen in like pesticides ect. I look @ it this way its better than farm raised fish with all the crap they feed em. Ya know I dont think there is ever a comfirmed case of someone getting poisened from eating fish out of the MO river. I wonder if if it was over hyped by the fish farming group. History teaches us alot about groups who have used propaganda to further their cause or fatten their wallets. Just somthing to think about next time ya see farmraised catfish for sale. I also wonder when the last testing was done. I bet they still usen sample data from 1975. Funny thing about rivers they tend to clean themselves out every other decade.

3. mofisher

mofisher Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been eating fish out of the Missouri for all my life. I'd say if your worried about it the younger ones seem like they would have fewer contaminants. That also works out well because then you can catch and release the big ones.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Fish in the Mo are just fine for eaten

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Been eating 'em for over 60 years and no problem yet. Stay safe and enjoy your catfish sammich!!!:wink:

6. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
  7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I eat the smaller ones when I feel like eating fish. I pretty much only fish the Missouri River, so not a lot of choice.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  8. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    they fry up just as nice as any.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dale, Putting a fish in a tank of water for a few days may make it taste better, but it does nothing to make them safer. Toxins accumulate over the years in the meat and fat and they don't come out. The older (generally bigger) fish have the highest levels.

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    if your worried about it then the best policy is to only eat small ones they have spent less time in the "toxins" and therefore will have a lower amount of them in thier body. the only recomendations i have heard is to not eat catfish caught out of the mo river more than once a week.

11. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Conservation Dept says one meal a week of Catfish over 17 inches long. The State is always real conservative. This is a good reason to let the big ones go. Use this on your buddy the next time he lands a monster.

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    the reports are a bit biased since they have to account for some people that might eat every part of the fish. A good portion of the toxins which build up over time are found in fatty tissue and organ meats which most people don't eat.

I think you will be fine if you are eating the younger fish and trimming the meat up well and not eating it all the time.

I am not a biologist and it has been awhile since I stayed at a Holiday Inn don't quate me on this.

13. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
  14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Opinions vary on what constitutes an acceptable risk, but Missouri does publish some information to help you with your decisions.

http://www.dhss.mo.gov/fishadvisory/
    "To minimize the amount of contaminants in fish you eat, DHSS recommends that you fillet your fish, remove the skin and trim away fatty portions. The meal advice in the summary table is based on this preparation technique. Generally, DHSS recommends eating smaller, legal size fish that have not lived as long and have not had time to accumulate as much contaminants in their bodies. The complete Fish Advisory provides further details on specific contaminants and on cleaning, cooking and other preparation techniques to minimize contaminants. "

http://www.dhss.mo.gov/fishadvisory/09FishAdvisory.pdf
    "Since metals do not tend to concentrate in fatty tissue, filleting, trimming fat, or special cooking methods will not reduce the levels of mercury."