Eating catfish out of the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Rottdog, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone,
    I have never had the oppurtunity to fish the Ol'e Mighty Mo but I have heard from alot of people who happen NOT to be fisherman that you should never eat the Cats out of the MO in or around the Kansas City Area.
    I would really appreciate any advice from some of you guys who actually get after it on the Mo in or around K.C.

Thank You guys for any feedback you may post.

Garrett

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Eat all you want out of the local lakes, but for me and most of my friends, the Mo and Kaw are strictly catch and release.

3. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Which local lakes are my best bet for catching Flats & Blues?

Thanks,
    Garrett

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Smithville and Truman both have good populations of blues

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Catch and Release for Me. If I get a hankerin for some cat fillets I will take my kids down to the local pay lake five miles from my driveway and let them slay a dozen 1-2 pound channel cats that have been dining daily on fish pellets. Man are they good. I have a buddy that regularly eats cats out of the Miss. and he doesnt have 3 eyes yet so I assume it's okay to eat them in moderation. My motivation for only CPR'ing the river fish is not for fear of bad fish, but to perpetuate the species and practice good conservation. I want my kids to be able to have fun catching them also. Of course, keeping a few "eaters" is not going to harm the environment either. I do believe its absolutely critical to release the big fish.

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I eat fish all the time out of the Mississippi, I live about 45 miles south of St. Louis, so I'm sure it gets its fair share of sewage dumped into it. I've always been told that enough water moves through the river every day, that it is cleaner that you would think. I argue with people all the time, as they say they won't eat it, but when It comes time for a fish fry, nobody asks until everything is gone. Then they can't believe where it's from. Usually I will double fillet them, It takes alot of time to cut out all the red meat, but it's worth it. The belly meat is best, you can just chunk it up. but really, all you want to eat is the white meat.

7. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I've been eating fish out of the Mississippi all my life. I don't eat huge amounts but I've been to a fish fry or two. I agree with Gary, if you take your time and prep the fish, it will be outstanding!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The Missouri Department of Health issues an annual fish consumption advisory. Everyone who fishes in Missouri should read it.

http://www.dhss.mo.gov/NewsAndPublicNotices/07FishAdvisory.pdf

The bottom line for catfish in the Missouri and Mississippi rivers is that you shouldn't eat more than 1 serving per week of any catfish more than 17" long.

Personally, I won't eat a catfish out of the Missouri under any circumstance. It's got nothing to do with preparing them so they taste good -- it has everything to do with the poisons that accumulate in those fish over time. You can fix them so they taste great, but you're still consuming the PCB, mercury, lead and whatever other toxins they carry.

9. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    look at the missour department of coservation hand book and it will tell you the amounts you should eat. it tells you what is in the water ex. mercurey.

10. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I've eaten a boat load of catfish from the Missouri River and I'm still kicking. I know dozens of other people that do the same, I imagine their are thousands across the state that eat fish from the Mo on a regular basis. I don't keep or eat big ones anymore but did for years. And it was just a few years ago that commercial fishing was allowed on the river so imagine how many people bought and ate those fish . I don't blame anyone who chooses not to but I feel alright with it myself.

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I'll eat the smaller fish a couple of times a month.

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I might keep a mess once every couple of months. I will not keep anything over 6 lbs. To me there is no comparison with pond raised fish. Been doing it for years and still got all my body functions. Well, they work as well as could be expected.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Im not telling anyone not to or to eat their fish, but I eat it on a regular basis and I don't see any effects, besides, if I lived my life by not doing things that were harmful in some aspect, I guess I shouldn't drive or even leave my house for that matter.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If you as an adult are aware of the warnings and choose to eat contaminated fish, that's your decision.

But PLEASE don't feed it to your kids - they're not able to make an informed choice, relying on you to do that for them.

In my opinion, feeding contaminated fish to a kid is every bit as irresponsible as making them live in a household with smoking parents.

15. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I Love eating fish, and my personal favoite is flathead. I hardly ever keep fish because I fish for Blues most of the time and like i said I like to eat Flathead. If I catch a fish over 5 lbs I will put them back. But on an occasion I will keep a couple smaller Flatheads for a meal.

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I can't say that I eat the fish all the time, maybe once every couple of months or so. So it's not like I'm eating it daily, and I don't have children, so that isn't a factor. Right now, I live 3 miles from a coal burning power plant, 10miles from a lead smeltering plant, and I work in a shop that grinds carbide. So I've probably seen my fair share of toxins in the air. Hard telling what we are breathing, and who knows what goes into the water. I don't think it's gonna get better, probably just worse.

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The grass, silver and bighead carp are safe in any amount because they eat vegetation and plankton.:lol:

18. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    so where do the predators get the chemicals from as opposed to the plant eaters?

19. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would disagree about the carp only because of this information from the fish advisory from the MO Dept of Health and Senior Services.
    They list Carp as one of the species with Mercury issues and also Lead if taken from the Big River and Flat River in St Francois County.
    Here is a link to their site - http://www.dhss.mo.gov/NewsAndPublicNotices/07FishAdvisory.pdf

20. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I stand corrected.