Eating catfish from the Great Miami River??

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishnohio, Jan 2, 2008.

1. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    is it safe to eat catfish from the gmr, i heard rumor that you should not eat them because of all the pollution that has been dumped in it?, inquiring minds would like to know . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..Mike

2. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    check that link out, I wouldnt eat anything out of there, just my personal opinion...:wink:

4. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    Thanks for the info, i don't eat any fish except from micky dee's and long john silvers. the reason i was asking is because i see alot of people taking channel cats and walleye and saugeye from the lowhead dam at d.p&l just south of miamisburg to eat........ but i wouldn't eat em.............Mike

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    mike try talorsville dam north if you are going to eat anything out of the gmr i fish the river for big cats not eaters rick

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I wouldn't recomend eating any fish out of the GMR but i know people that do and they seem to be fine lol.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was born in Middletown and lived in Franklin when I was young. I remember the little miami river. I'm not too familiar with the Great Miami river. I wouldn't recommend eating any fish out of these waters. I have a cousin that fishes there and he says that the rivers are so polluted that the fish are not fit to eat. I think however they are probably cleaner now than they were several yrs. ago:crazy:

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you dont consume then everyday then they are safe. however, the GMR has sewage treatment discharges on avg about every 5 miles and they give the fish a pretty nasty taste. i eat a few each year and i can tell you the fish that are within a couple miles of these "outlets" taste just like the water smells that is discharged!:bad_smelly: north of Dayton, and a few isolated stretches produce fish that arent too bad tasting.

9. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I ate few 2 lb or so channel catfish from around Troy this year and they tasted great actually, with no ill effects
    no ill effects
    no
    ill effects
    that I no ov.
    Mye x gurlfrens kiddds seam oaky tew anddd thay reelly 8 a bunches ov theme.