eating carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Aug 25, 2008.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Has anyone ever tried it?? I wouldn't dare eat 'em.:crazy: I just say some for sale 40 cents a pound at this new market.

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    it's been years since i ate carp and there are several ways to cook it I had it fried in a skillet the fillets were scored with a fillet knife and cooked crisp with fried taters and onions I have heard of carp cooked in a pressure cooker to soften up the bones

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yep when we gigged them and snaged them below truman dam mom pressure cooked canned them then we fixed them like salmon patties yummy very good :wink:

4. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Most of the rest of the world eats 'em...I have a buddy from South Africa that tells me his "mum" used to make the carp patties...He never heard of salmon patties, but they were just the same...He did tell me that "mum" would boil the filets and crumble them up to put in the mix, that also allowed the bones to be removed...
    Hey, what's "gefilte fish" ? Somebody told me that was carp, I always thought it was herring...

5. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Gefilte Fish is common carp, i just found that out. guess I've eaten carp:confused2:

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I tell you smoked carp if done right is exelent and you will love it....I might have to go get me one now its been awhile:roll_eyes:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Get yourself a cedar plank and season the carp up and put in the smoker. When done throw away the carp and eat the plank. :wink:

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    nothing wrong with it at all. filleted and scored and with the right prep. eats fine. lots of things i said ide never eat after trying it loved them. hog balls are one. said nope never no way no how. got drunk and tried them fried. now i would make a trip to eat them.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Seth,I have ate carp,I just took the upper part of the
    fillet off ,it has less bones

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you cut off the tail and let it bleed out, they the meat won't taste fishy.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have eat it, not that bad! Its one of the fish you have to prep properly, Cut the mud streak out and its not as strong. If you like "strong" fish, they are quite nice. Plenty of meat and very flakey

12. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have eaten it Fried, Fish Cakes, Smoked and Canned and each of them were Great! The way that I would prefer is SMOKED! The flavor will be a memory maker and it is Healthy that way as well. The grinding of the flesh and using it as a Fish Pattie base is Also a Great way to eat it. It is a traditional dish for New Years in Germany!!!

HOPPY4

13. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    The idea has always appealed to me ... This year I got a smaller one in February. No mudline and out of good clean cold water. UNfortunately the above story ALMOST describes my experience...

that Get yourself onions, Peppers and carefully bake the carp on time adding special seasoning and all the good stuff...

and the onions and peppers are GREAT! the carp was worse than dog food:crazy:

Another bad thing about carp is for those of you that only eat boneless fish. carp are almost hopeless to debone, there is a 'floating rib cage' in the meat.

14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Best I can remember from eating Carp years ago as a kid, it has a good taste. the reason that they are not eating by more people, is they are just to boney. My grand mother would fry them for me and her when I lived with her, and they tasted good. But I have always wondered if you couldn't Make fish patties out of them like salmon. the ones we eat came out of a muddy canal, and I would have to keep them in a tub of clean water for a couple of days until they cleaned all the mud out of their system.