Eating Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Larry Collier, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I've eaten carp three different ways in my life. The first is what anyone may expect - dressed and fried. But I have used a pressure cooker on a couple of large carp and made patties similar to making salmon patties. The bones all but dissappear. The most interesting was a meal I ate in Florida. This was at a large outdoor cafe. (Can't remember the town but it was on the gulf side just south of the panhandle) They removed the head, gutted and cleaned the fish, split the fish in two halves down the dorsal and left the scales on. With scale side down they were seasoned and placed in an outdoor cooker, similar to a bar-b-que pit, and left until the meat was cooked. The result was amazing. The scales served as the plate when the fish was placed on the picnic table along with plates of fixins like slaw, tater salad, hush puppies, etc etc.

With that said I have to admit I am not recommending carp should be heavily fished and eaten. But if those who have never tried carp had a well prepared meal of this fish they may change their opinion for the carps reputation as only a trash fish.

Best to Ya

Larry

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I have to agree with you that carp aren't that bad (as long as they are caught from clean, moving water). I usually fillet them and then cut them up in small 2" strips. Coat them with Andy's or TSS and deep fry them. I also bread and fry some onions, peppers, and zucchini from the garden - good stuff!

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Larry I'v fixed it like that before and Your Right Sir. Its GOOOOOD!! J.D.
    :smile2:

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm half ashamed to say that deepfried is the only way I've cooked them. Perhaps I'll experiment a bit further, I've got a couple of packs in my freezer.

This summer the neighbors were down (actually my fishin buddy and his clan) and we had some carp caught the previous day soakin in salt water in the fridge. I microwave defrosted a pack of store bought cod and tilapia and deep fried all three in the same basic flour/meal/salt/pepper mixture.
    The results were unanamous: cod 1st place, carp 2nd, tilapia 3rd.

I will say this, I'll only clean the smaller ones no bigger than 6-8 lbs. Any bigger and the meat is coarse. I read in Euall Gibbons book (I think it was "Stalking The Wild Asparagus") and had an ol timer river rat tell me the same thing about cleaning them, and it's what I do. Cut the tails off, hang um up, and let them bleed. It doesn't take long, bout 10-15 mins.You have to either keep them alive or bleed them before putting them on ice (of course I whack em on the head with a hammer like I do any other fish before cleaning them). I'll also trim some of the darkest red meat out up the center. After bleeding them they're actually very easy to fillet and remove the skin with an electric knife.

5. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Ive had carp of few different ways, my favorite being a heavy seasoning of seafood magic, then mixing chopped(very finely) dried onions, grits, and corn meal with milk and eggs to make the batter

Seems good to me :big_smile:

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    My Advice Is Don't Eat Them. But This Is Only My Opinion.

7. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I only had it a couple times and that was years ago. A friend of mine was just back from the service overseas and we went fishing for cats but as the luck would have it we caught these carp. Not one to pass up an adventure we decided to cook em. We cleaned em and opened them up, and put hefty sticks thru them and placed them above a campfire til the meat fell off the bones. They tasred pretty good I thought, but maybe it was just the outdoor air. Cooking them this way is a good method for oily fish too as it tends to dry the meat out as it cooks.
    :cool2:

8. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I'm not a chef but that open fire cooking the oil out may be why that slow cooked slab of carp I had in Florida tasted so good.

When I was a kid (late 50's) catfish was almost exclusivly a southern dish. I heard over and over from our northern brothers and sisters how catfish was a scavenging trash fish not fit to eat. Obviously that isn't true anymore. As people overcame the trash stigma it's popularity spread rapidly to the north.

I'm not saying carp will do the same because the meat definately is more oily and the texture more course as the size increases. When prepared properly with these things in mind it provides fine table fare. It may always be like comparing flank steak to porter house or any finer cut of beef, but all have their place at the table.

Best to Ya

Larry

9. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My grandpa used to tell me when you catch a nice size carp, and you want to eat it here's what you do. First, you cut off its head and then you scale it. Then, turn the oven on at about 350 degrees. Put the carp on the board with whatever seasoning you like. You put the carp in the oven and let it cook for about 1 hour. When the buzzer goes off, take the carp out, throw it away and eat the board.

Grandpa's secret recipe!

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Right on Larry. Thank God for variety, it's the spice of life.

11. onemorecast

onemorecast New Member

State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    We used to smoke them for a really good snack to take along while fishing. Just cut the head off and gut them, then smoke them. Pretty simple and REALLY good.

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sounds like a good idea, thanks for the info

13. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do not think I could eat a carp no matter how you fixed it.

14. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    The way I cook my carp is real simple. Heck even a kid could do it.

First, catch a carp.
    Second, on the way home stop by a plant nursery, and buy a tomato plant. (Cherokee Purple is a good choice.)
    Third, at the house decide where to plant tomato plant.
    Fourth, dig a large oversized hole for the plant. Fifth, place carp in bottom of hole and plant on top of carp.
    Water regulary and enjoy fresh homegrown tomatoes in a few months.
    This is the best way, that I've found to fix carp.

Will

15. UK_fisherman

UK_fisherman New Member

State:
    Kent, UK
    As most of you may know over here in the UK Carp are one of the most popular fish species fished for and as such even thinking of eating a carp is looked at with disgust by many.

The way I see it carp at the end of the day are no different then any other fish and many people here seem to forget that carp were only brought over here to the UK in the first place by Monks (1600's i think) as a cheep source of food.

Would I eat one? YES I would cooked right and why not I eat other fish so why not carp.

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    For those people that think Carp is nasty, just wait until youre starving and have nothing to eat. I bet it would taste real good then!:wink:
    Seriously, carp is good eating. But I also feel that is an acquired taste, like most anything else. It depends on how the carp's environment was when it was alive, to how the carp was prepared for eating. Ive seen some of the best porter house steaks just ruined by spices and extracts. But on the same token, Ive been able to make macaroni and cheese taste like a sioux-flay(sp?).

Kenny

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Dang Larry! You got me gettin all hungry bro! I grew up around Lake Erie in Cleveland, Ohio. We were always told not to eat the carp or other bottom dwelling fish due to the pollution levels of the lake at that time. When I moved out here to Arizona, one of my brothers-in-law prepared a Carp one day from a local canal. It is a Mexican dish called Caldo(sp?). Its basicly a prepared like a stew. It was really good and it gave me a whole new perspective on what I once thought was a "garbage fish".

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've eaten a ton of smoked carp growing up. The key is to have a good heat smoker that cooks as it smokes which takes less time and dries the oils out better. Over some good hickory chips, then put on a cracker with a little mustard!!! Yummy! I've never tried them any other way. We used to pickle suckers though too.

19. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Larry, when we were in teenagers which was a long time ago we used to go th the river and sein 20 to 30 carp, filet em like a bass, score both sides till you almost cut through them, then put em in corn meal and flour seasoned spread the meat so the batter gets into the scores and drop into peanut oil that is so hot you could lite a kitchen match in it and it would pop up in about 3 min. and golden brown and NO BONES and it was great and we still do it today once in a while!!!:eek:oooh:

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I know thats right Kenny:0a27: