Eating Carp

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by LMHart, Oct 13, 2009.

1. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I was watching Dineers, Drive-ins and Dives last night on the Food Network and they showed this place in Omaha, NE that cooks carp. They said that they go through about 3000 fish a week!! It showed that they fillet them out then score the fillet, bread it and then deep fry it. They also make a chowder out of them.

Has anyone ever tried it? If so are their special handling techniques to prepare them? They were frying complete with bones. They said the bones will cook through. It looks interesting and everyone seemed to enjoy the fist. Some even more then catfish.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    id eat...hell before long it will be our national dish....referring to the asians...takin over....the asian carp....not about the president in any way :wink:

3. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Did they say it tasted like chicken? Every time someone wants me to try something new they say it tastes like chicken. I know what chicken tastes like, why do I need to eat something weird if it tastes like chicken. Why not eat chicken?

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    carp has a pertier mouth

5. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know how it tasted personally but every time I catch one I am getting closer to trying it. There's alot of different explanations out there when it comes to cleaning them. One of them said if you chunk it and boil it then add butter it will taste just like lobster.

Don't know if this is a joke or not but if it works I would be eating every common carp I haul in.

6. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think I always heard it had to be pressure cooked.

7. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    The common carp I have tried cooked into patties.It wasn't bad but I didn't think it was as good as salmon patties.A neighbor of my grandfathers loved them and we would always give them to him.He always wanted us to bleed them out by cutting the tail off as soon as we caught them.He would cut them in 2 inch chunks bones and all then pressure cook them.Then he would take the canned meat and batter and fry like salmon patties.The bones do soften in the pressure cooker with no problems.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have never tried it but a friend of mine who really knows good food (and has the waistline to prove it) says that smoked carp is one of the best things he has ever eaten.
    I guess it's all in the preparation...W

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One of the things the local volunteer fire dept. has on their fish fry menu is scored carp. You can hardly tell there's any bones. For me, I'd have to acquire a taste for them.

10. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Heck, I'd try it. Why not? :big_smile:

11. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    The reason we have Carp in the first place is because they were imported for a food fish. Europeans love Carp...I spent 10 years in Germany and, even though they have Trout and Salmon, they love their Carp. I've eaten it out of the clean streams where I grew up in Pennsylvania and can tell you, if you like fish, you'll like Carp.

Try one, see for yourself.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i would try anything once, but i dont know about a carp, i haven never tryed one but i have heard of a few people who have but not many, i just wonder if they are any good or not.

13. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Being Missouri born and raised, I have eaten carp and it is a very tasty fish. Scoring and hot grease are the two most important factors in preparation. Score them close and deep and deep fry them in hot grease with corn meal seasoned to taste and you'll have not problems with the small bones, if not you're in for a long meal:smile2::smile2::smile2: One thing I've noticed in my travels is that diet is more or less dictated by the game that is native to the region and culture differences. The first time I ever had a salmon steak was in Colorado and I got a bone stuck in my throat. Until then the only salmon I had seen was in a can, pressure cooked and no bones. Try native dishes and you may find them to your liking. Stay safe and keep an open mind when trying something new!!!:wink:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've also eaten fried carp,To me its no different tasting than any other fish. I keep the "backstrap' when I catch them to use for cut bait. Once in a while

15. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I was 21 before I learned that carp were not fit to eat.I grew-up in the 40s and 50s on a small farm in Kansas . We ate what we grew ,shot or caught. like any fish carp out of clean water are good eating.

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    The place you saw on the program is called Jo Tesses Place and they specialize in Carp and have made a million dollars selling the fish.I might add that it is mighty tasty.the place has been around for 60 or more years.The secret to fixing carp is to cut blood line out and to deep score the fish between the ribs and roll in in your favorite seasoning and deep fry it in hot oil.Give it a try Folks I think you might change your mind about Carp A.K.A.(Bug Eyed Bass) :wink: .J.D.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  17. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I've eaten at Jo Tesses many times, in fact when I get to Omaha its one of my must stops or at least it used to be:tounge_out: I've always said that carp are great to eat, its just that they take a little more preperation that what we Americans are used to:eek:oooh: They were brought to America by the germans cuz they eat carp like we eat turkey!! Fried carp is as good as fried catfish go to Tesses and you'll say the same and I've been doing it for a long long time:smile2:

18. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i was born and raised in southwest georgia and my daddy taught me that if it swims in the creek you can eat it. i was taught early how to prepare redhorse suckers and small carp(up to 2 lbs) you filet the sides then what we called gashing them just like a sucker. batter and fry and they are great. the preacher would take the big ones and pressure cook and do them like salmon patties. with some good cane syrup and a cathead bisciut their ummmm good.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    grew up eating them. only thing you carch in the creeks alot round here in summer. filleted and scored. deep fried in FAT FAT FAT!!!!!!!!!!!

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if it can be fried it cant be bad..and if its still bad after bein fried..just add more ketchup:wink: