Eating Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by miichael, Jul 21, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Does anyone eat blue cats? I have caught a few small blue cats and the meat on them wasn't white like on a channel or Flathead it was kinda bloody looking? looked like they had been bruised up or something and didn't soak out very well. Just wondering if they was all like this?

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    From the blues ive eaten their meat is a lot whiter than flatheads and channels so you probally got a batch after the spawn or something.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you need to cut the red strips out of the fillets or at least that what i always did. to me the 5-10lb fish are the best to eat but there is a lot of waste it seems to me on a blue. they are alot like a striper. i always soaked mine for a few days and that takes out alot of the red and trim the rest out. the meat will be a lot whiter than a channel.

4. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Personally I like the blues better. The ones I have eaten the meat was a lot whiter that the channels and flats. Any of them are good though if prepared properly.

Tony

5. Limbline

Limbline New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They're nasty......but my cat loves the filets.
    If you wouldn't mind taking all of your blue cat filets and putting them in a box with some dry ice and ship them to me, my cat will love you for it.:wink:

6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I didnt think Blue was that much differant from Channels meat imho.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Correct me if I am wrong, but channels usualy will eat about anything. Blues seem to be pickier and big flats like live big bait. So it would seem that blues would taste better than channels, but that is only my opinion. You can soak the fillets in salt water or milk and that does help. I do enjoy all catfish battered and deep fried.

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love blues. I fillet off the red meat (good for the cat) and I don't have to soak them. The white meat left is awesome.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Properly cleaned, a blue cat is just about the best eating fish there is. Certainly as good or better than crappie and walleye.

But screw it up and it'll taste like mud or worse.

I've yet to see a channel cat with white meat - it's always a grungy yellow in these parts. And I don't care for the taste at all.

Here's my method of cleaning a blue cat:

* Take an ice pick and jam it horizontally (toward the tail), starting at the ripple between the eyes. This kills the fish instantly (or at least paralyzes it so it won't flop). If he's still wiggling, you didn't do it right.

* Hang the fish up by its head (I use a nail driven through a 1x4) and use a sharp knife or electric fillet knife to cut the tail off, just above the fin. Leave it hanging for 5 to 10 minutes so it'll bleed out. The amount of blood that drains is incredible.

* I use an electric fillet knife and start at an angle from behind the rib cage on the bottom to just behind the big fin on top - cut down to the backbone then take it all the way to the end, stopping just short. Flip the fillet over and PULL THE FISH through the fillet knife to separate from the skin. Done correctly, this whole process is one continuous maneuver that takes 3 or 4 seconds. Also, if you do it right, you never cut into the gut cavity at all. I don't bother with the belly meat - it's full of fat and tastes pretty awful. If you're cleaning a huge fish, you might want to take the belly meat. But for 2-4 lb eaters, don't bother.

* Put the fillet under running cold water and leave it there while you finish cleaning.

* You can get the big chunk of meat just above the rib cage and below the top fin by making a "C" shaped cut. The skin can be taken off later.

* Now that you're done cleaning, it's time to trim up the pieces.

* First, take a fillet and lay it with the red meat side up. Use a very sharp fillet knife (not an electric), lay the knife on the fillet and mash down while working toward the end of the fish. The red meat comes of easily and you don't waste very much white meat.

* Now look for any yellow or translucent areas on the fillet - usually around the top - this is fat and needs to be cut away.

* Keep rinsing the meat in fresh running cold water and it'll come out absolutely snow white with no fishy smell.

* Prepare it now any way you want. I usually cut it up into small chunks and deep fry in a cornmeal breading.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Blues are the best eating in my opinion. I always clean my fish on the boat and keep an ice chest about half full of ice to throw the fillets into then pour in some water and mix them up. By the time I make it home they have soaked about 3 hours and most of the blood has been removed. At home I'll remove the center section of the fillets then trim all the red off. when your done all of your fish will be almost a snow white. I put the fish in quart freezer bags and fill with water they will keep longer in the freezer this way. If cleaned properly the blues are alot better eating than the channels and just as good if not better than the flats. The main thing to remember is to soak the fillets in ice cold water long enough to draw out the blood and then trim all fat and red off the fillet.

11. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Never eaten a blue (we don't have them in the interior of Iowa), but I have eaten a lot of channels. I've caught them from lakes, ponds, rivers, streams and even little creeks- and you know what? None of them tasted bad! I think its all in the way you treat the fish after the catch. There has been a lot of good advice above. Either keep them alive as long as possible, clean them as soon as possible, bleed them and/or get them on ice or all of the above. One thing I'll add, I always soak my fish (no matter what kind) overnight at a minimum, in a bowl of saltwater in the refridgerator. It draws out the blood and firms up the meat. To me, that eliminates having to trim out all the red/yellow meat that others mention. Haven't had a complaint from those I've cooked for yet!

Good eating!

12. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    If you are catching blues and they taste bad you are fishing in nasty water. Like the other post, I agree, blues are a fine eating fish. Just have to make sure it isn't too fat, it will taste fishy. trim off any yellow or mushy looking white stuff around the fins. The red meat along the lateral line needs to be trimmed also. I eat it baked, fried, or boiled in a good gumbo.

13. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    They didnt taste bad they was just bloody looking maybe i got a few after the spawn.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I eat blue cats and love it as good if not better than channel IMO. No soaking are any of that mess I fillet and freeze then when thawed out to eat I remove the red strip of meat and discard. This is another opinion I have about catfish, if the water is foul are dirty then the catfish that live in that water will not taste as good since they live in the muck and eat from the muck their bodies collect the "muck" of the foul water.

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Id say flathead is the top on my list then channels and blues but it also really depends on the lake some reason you can tell a diffrence in the meat

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I Clean 500 to a 1000 cats a year on the guide service and blue are whiter then channels and are better eatting as well thay dont seem to eat asmuch junk as channels do. the channels have alittle yellow color to them but they eat great as well. I dont clean any over 5lbs 2 to 4 lbers are the best eatters around here.

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think they are whiter meat than channels and good eating but I don't like the larger ones the seem to be a little rubbery. the best ones to eat for me are in the 2# to 10 # range I won't clean any larger than that.

18. Limbline

Limbline New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I received some negative rep for my previous post on this thread and wanted to clarify the post.
    I was just kidding!!!
    Blue cats are my favorite fish to eat and I don't even have a cat.
    If anything, I would filet the cat and feed it to the blue's (O.k., I'm being sarcastic again).

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That step alone will make the meat incredibly white when you go to cut the fish apart. A lot of color comes from the blood.

20. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I love to eat blues. They are very white meat fish. Channels have a lot of yellow fat on them. Just my experince.