Eatin' Catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Oct 27, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Alright people.... I want to hear how you guys prepare your catfish. What sides do you serve with'em?
    I've been mixing a cup of milk and one egg. I dip the fillets in the mixture. And then I coat them with Andy's seasoning. I then have been frying them in peanut oil. We like them that way. Everyone that's had them says they are awesome.
    But I'm looking for some different ways to prepare my fish. How do you guys do it?
    We tried the store bought hush puppies last time and they were horrible. You guys would know any good hush puppy recipes would ya?
    What other sides do you guys serve with your fish?

Dan

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Another thing. The last time I fried some catfish up... I had a couple peices that were just overwhelmingly "fishy" tasting? Any idea why those couple peices would taste different then the rest?

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    soak your fish in 7up and beer it get the fishy taste out and then use pancake mix and dried potato flakes for your batter it will be the best fish have ever eatin

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I've heard of using beer but never 7up. I'll have to give it a try. Dried potato flakes? Potato chips? Sliced potatos that are left out to dry? I'm a little slow, help me out. :big_smile:

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    He probably means Instant Mashed Potato Mix is my guess.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If i keep the belly meat, I ALWAYS remove that bluish membrane. If ya don't it can be awful fishy tastin. I always cook fryed taters an hushpuppys when i eat fish. A lil coleslaw an a slice of onion don't hurt either.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Generally the belly meat will have a stronger flavor than the rest of the fish if you don't cut of the membrane.

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I can't say I know what membrane you all are talking about. I'll look for it next time.
    Country hart.... We tried the fried taters a while ago and they didn't turn out to well. They were pretty soggy. Where do you get your hush puppies?

9. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Yes your right Instant mashed potato mix with pancake mix its good

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I think my next time frying fish, I'm going to make a bunch of different kinds. So far, I'm gonna make my usual Andy's fish. And the pancake and potato. I guess you mix them about half and half?

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    the membrane that we are talking about is a silvery lining on the inside of hte belly meat. If you don't cut that off it gives the fish a strong taste.

12. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    What kind of oil do you guys use? I'm using up my peanut oil now. Figures I'd start with it. I'd like to try a different kind.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Soggy taters means the grease isn't hot enuff. Wife makes hushpuppys but they are sold in most frozen food displays. Look at a blue cats belly after ya fillet it off, it has a blue film/membrane covering the inside of it. Taste funky if it's fryed.

14. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Oil not hot enough. I'll have to remember that. I also heard to fry them for a bit.... Pull them out, pat them with a paper towel, and then fry'em for a few more minutes.

15. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Well about 80 pancake and 20 potato the potato is just to make it extra chunky

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    That sounds good. My mouth is watering. I see a fish fry in the near future.
    I went out fishing Monday afternoon at lake Lou Yeager. I battled the 50 degree temps, sideways rain, and wind for one largemouth bass. :roll_eyes: Anyways, the wife and kids were gone for the evening. So it made quite a good meal for myself. The dog loved the little bit I couldn't finish up too.

17. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Dan, fillet out your catfish and trim ALL the dark stuff off the sides as well as slice thru the lateral line making two long fillets for each side with ALL the dark meat cut off. Your fillets should be pearly white… All belly meat or any trace of fat should be removed, that’s what retains any polutants. The dark meat is what gives any strong or fishy taste, leave some of the dark stuff on one fillet and do the taste test, even with store bought fish like tilapia, leave one with the dark stuff on and do the taste test. Trim them up right, you won’t have any strong taste. I’ve even mixed them with crappie doing the taste test and my family have picked the catfish as their favorite and we love crappie. I also soak the trimmed fillets in ICY water - mostly ice - for a couple of hours to bring any residual blood or oils to the surface. Do this and enjoy healthy tasty catfish

18. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks Michael. Thats what I was looking for. I'm used to fileting bass and crappie. I'm still having trouble not cutting through the skin while cutting catfish. I noticed through the middle of the filet there was a tendon or something that I cut out. I also cut off some yellowish looking meat. I'm thinking I left to much red meat on. I'll cut it all out from now on.

19. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks alot Earl. I'll add those tips and recipes to my next fry. :smile2:
    Well,I'm off to Mel Price. Todays the day.... I can feel it. Reeling in the big boy today!! That frost covering my boat has to be a good sign. I'll show you all pictures of the monster this evening!! :wink:

20. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cook them on your outdoor grill. Pour a little beer over them and then using salt, pepper, garlic powder. Melt down in your melting cup butter and smashed garlic and brush on them and your garlic bread. Open up a can of pork and beans and set it on the grill also to heat up. Some cole slaw and you have a fish fry!