"Eater size" channel catfish ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by kyron4, May 28, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm a catch and release fisherman, but like to fry up some catfish every now and then. My personal slot limit for channel cats for eating size is 18"-24" ; over or under gets released. How does this compare with your "keeper" size ? Too many guys in my area keep everything they catch, reguardless of size. I like C&R but sometimes think someone else is just going to catch it and eat, and why not me. :confused2: Any thoughts or input ?
    -Thanks

2. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I like them smaller than that, and i usually dont have a choice.:lol::lol::lol:

3. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    12-18 inchs for me. i am the onlly one that eats them in my family.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like \em between 1 1/2 and 5#. Anything smaller isn't worth cleaning and anything over 5# isn't as good of eating and it is more sporting to let them go to reproduce and/or catch again.

5. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'd release anything above 10#. I think 2.5# is about ideal in terms of eating.

-- Rich

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    That's just about the way I do it too. The only difference is that I'll usually keep a couple of smaller ones (12"-14") because the fillets are just about the perfect size for my daughters' appetites.

Jon

7. catfish156123

catfish156123 New Member

State:
    Currie, Minnesota
    The wife and I always keep the smaller ones. up to about 20 inches, Very good eating and fun to get. And we only live about two miles from a lake that has just that size. O-ya you can get up around 14 pounders but I would hope most of them are returned,

8. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I tend to go by poundage myself channels/blues 1-10lbs go to the skillet

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I like 3-5 pounders, as I like a boneless fellet, an hate to skin em. I just take the best part, below the bone to the tail, flip er over beyond the tail; an finish the second cut close to the skin from the inside. Then I cut the steaks in half lengthwise. I use milk an egg with Zateran's New Orleans fish fry breading. With the narrower cut steaks ya don't need a deep fryer, just bout an inch of oil in a chicken fryer & it's fast an tasty. If I'm doing fries, or corn dodgers, I fry them first, then the fish. One pan one meal.
    :smile2:

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    15lb's and smaller goes under the knife. Everything else goes back:cool2: We eat a lot of catfish, LOL or at least we try...

11. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    1-3#s is usually what we keep

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If it won't fit in the fryer or skillet it goes back, so I guess 1 to 3 pounds. On a normal outing I won't keep over 3 to take home and most of the time they all go back, but those young fillets are hard to beat!

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i keep all under 20"
    they have the best taste to me

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    For me it depends on not only the size but how many, between 2 and 7 lbs to me seems to be good. But if I only end up with one or two I usualy release them.

15. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    most of the time if it's on the hook it goes to the table

16. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    That about sums it up for me as well. I did throw back about 25 about 6-8 inches long Memorial day and my Grandmother threatened to take me off of the Christmas list.

17. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I keep all cats between 12" and 24" anything larger or smaller is released. I use to keep the larger ones but I just settled on 12/24 for cleaning and eating.

18. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I like to keep 4-5 fish about 2-4#'s. I let everything over 8-10 go andlittle ones under about 16 inches are a pain to clean.

19. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I keep all fish, becuase I never git any big ones lol.

20. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    for eaters I like them in the 12"-24" range, the smaller ones are just the right size to gut and skin and fit a few in my big frying pan, the 24's I can get a few big fillets out of them, toss them in the seal a meal and good to go. Usually I end up releasing whatever I catch unless I'm fishing with someone else that's looking to eat them...love catching fish but never have been a big fish eater. But every once in a while I get a hankerin' for some catfish and it beats the heck out of paying $7/lb for farm raised fillets at the local fish dealer...