Eater size channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by countrycat15, Jul 2, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys for the last couple of trips to the river/lake we have been catching good eater sized cat(1-8)pound range and i am relly starting to enjoy it,and they taste good to:big_smile: .dont get me wrong i love to hook into a big one.but to tell the truth i would rather catch 20 cats in the 3-10 pound range than 1 big one.but one day i am going to go after the big channels.
    so my quietions are what would be good baits and hook sizes to catch channels in the 3-10 pound range. any info yall have will help me out alot thanks.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Fresh Cut Bait, Goldfish, Chubs, Chicken Liver, Shrimp, Prepared baits (Stink Bait), all these are great baits.

I use a 5/0 Kahle when going after smaller channels. Good luck on the water brother.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nightclawers, Chicken Livers, and Minnows.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

cut/live shad, cut/live bream (small), liver, night crawler, crappie-large minnows, stink bait and garlic hotdogs. good luck and I agree I would rather catch 20 small one's over one big one but sometimes the big one's are fun.

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for the posts guys this helps me out alot.

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I agree it is more fun catching the smaller eater size fish and you have something to show for it and good table fair. I think everyone looks forward to catching a big one some day but untill that day what do you want not to catch anything. I use Daichii chuck lite circle hooks. Just started useing them and have had good luck with them about 95% catch.

7. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    For huge numbers of eaters nothing can beat a great quality dip bait such as Wicked Sticky or Jo Jo's Pole Snatcher from Cattracker Bait Company. As for the hooks, I like to use anything from a number 2 up to a 2/0 circle hook. Plenty of quality hooks out there, but I love VMC Sport Circle Hooks, they work for my set ups the best. If you use these in combination with chum you can't go wrong. Good luck and if you need anymore info, don't hesitate to pm me.

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    yup,20 eatin sized cats is what im after:tounge_out:

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That should work great for eaters. I personally use a 4/0 circle when going after small channels, but hook choice is only personal preference.

10. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    im with you on that one kenny...but dont get me wrong i would like to catch a big ont to though:smile2:

11. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    I agree, except I catch turtles when I use chicken livers or shrimp. Try adding Sewer bait to Wicked Sticky from Cattracker Bait Company. Stays on your hook longer, and stinks like limburger cheese gone bad.

12. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    chicken liver. cut shad, bluegills, live or cut bait good luck to yea brother!

13. catrat

catrat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cant go wrong with Sonnys Supper Sticky.

14. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I prefer Danny Kings punch bait myself. It always catches fish for me..

15. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for the help guys,im hopeing to get back on the water soon and try some of yalls tips out.