eater size catfishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Pacman, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Most of the talk here is how to catch the big one. What do you do differently when targeting eater size fish? Tackle, bait, techniques, etc.

2. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Most (MOST) of us here, I've learned, fish for fish. We'll catch eaters and sometimes a big one will come along. I don't have any different techniques for catching smaller ones. The best advice I've EVER gotten came from a BOC brother. Big bait doesn't always mean big fish, but all sizes of fish will hit a smaller bait. :0a26:

3. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Pacman! I use lighter tackle using a slip bobber and/or a carolina rig on the bottom. I will also chum some soured grain such as milo or wheat. Chumming will put the fish in the area into a feeding frenzy. You will mainly catch channel catfish. Alteast that's all I catch when I chum down here in TX. broadcast a couple of scoop fulls of chum if you don't get a bite within 30 minutes move to another spot and repeat. Chum works well if there isn't a lot of current. I use punch bait to fill a cooler for a fish fry and live or cut bait for bigger fish.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I use the same rigs, basically I just change my location to an area where smaller fish are more abundant. (local lakes usually fit the bill)

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I switch bait to liver of worms .

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man Jim those worm livers must be tough to get on the hook.:smile2:J/K

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Most people are unaware of the fact that Jimmy was an aspiring surgeon, but due to an unfortunate set of circumstances he was unable to complete medical school. Now, as an avocation, he specializes in micro-surgery on invertebrates and he is well-known as a pioneer in liver transplants for nightcrawlers & red-wigglers :smile2::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

8. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I fish mainly with cut perch and cut shad, and catch a lot of eaters, and an occasional biggun. When I fish exclusively for eaters, however, I usually use a good dip bait like Sonny's or Secret 7, or Danny King's punch bait. You gotta put up with taking off a lot of little ones...they love the dip baits, but you get a lot of 1 to 4 pounders.

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Patmansc, you are killin me here! :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2: LOL!

Jimmy, what size micro hooks are you using? How many worms you mutilating to get enough livers for 1 hook? Do what works for you! :smile2::smile2:

10. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    That was said at the lake Greenwood gathering. I remember it. lol :wink:

11. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    That's right, straight from the mouth of our local wise-ass (oops, I mean wise-man), POP POP!!!! Hey Pop, we still gonna lay a Greenwood smackdown tomorrow?!?!

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Oh no we have special giant worms here in Liberty. All ya gotta do is look under natural light cans and you will find em. No need for small hooks.

13. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    HELLO PACMAN I'M A NEW MEMBER THE WAY I GO AFTER EATEN SIZE CATS IS WITH SMALLER TACKEL AND PEELED FRESH SHRIMP AND FISH THE SWIFTER WATER AROUND AREAS THAT I WOLUD FISH FOR BREAM GOOD LUCK

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I personally dont do anything different really. I used to think that bigger bait presentations meant bigger fish but I had caught smaller flatheads with big bluegill and bigger flatheads on smaller baits. I guess its just first come, first eat down there!