Eater Flathead Catfish weight cut off?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MrFlathead, Jul 14, 2009.

What weight do you consider to big to be an eater for Flatheads

1. 5 pounds

2. 10 pounds

3. 15 pound

4. 20 pounds

5. 30 pounds

6. 40 pounds

7. No limit for me... The bigger the better!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Hopefully i dont mess this poll up because I have never done one before but I was curious as to when you guys consider a flathead to big to be an eater assuming that it is out of clean fresh unpoluted water.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    depends on the other guys but i heard anything over 10# not good to eat but i have also heard different sizes :wink::wink::wink: but i fish for the sport of it

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    6 to 8 pounds in my throw back point. I dont really keep too many flatheads to eat tho. I usually only keep channels and blues for eating and throw back all flatheads. But sometimes a few smaller ones with get thrown in the cooler. Good post.

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I rarly keep a flathead or blue over 12lbs to eat. Or a channel cats over 10lbs to eat. I have kept larger fish, but ONLY due to the fact of a bad hooking accident, but thats on rare occasions. Not that i belive in the foul tasting and pollutants that the fish man hold of being an older fish. I belive in selective harvest, the release of larger fish for ensure the future of the fishery. Theres alot less larger fish than there is smaller fish to harvest, so i try to practice and preach to whom i can about keeping the smaller fish, let the larger fish go. To breed, pass on good genes and get larger to maybe catch again..

Think of it this way. For every 30lb catfish, theres two 25lb catfish. For every two 25lbers, theres four 20lb catfish. For the four 20lbers, theres eight 15lbers. For eight 15lber, theres sixteen 10lbers. For all the sixteen 10lbers, theres thirty two 5lbers........... Does this figure make sense?

Release those larger fish and let them breed and grow. Harvest the smaller fish, think of it this way.. There a heck of alot better to clean then a big fish...

5. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    Big fish are Ok just need soaking in saltwater and the fat nd red trimmed off . There is a lot of waste on big fish I personally prefer a 12 lb fish some of the big ones you cant tell from the small one
    T Man

6. Carl

Carl New Member

State:
    WV
    I throw all the flatheads back, every now and then I'll keep a channel or 2 under 14" or 15" they are the best eatin in the cat family to me. IMO bluegills are the best fish to eat, multiy purpose, food and bait.:big_smile:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well...I voted 10lbs....but rarely ever keep a flathead for eating. They are my number one turn back and let get big fish. I usually fill my freezer and belly with 5 lb bluecats. They are abundant here and I prefer to clean 1 fish for 1 meal. I may have some fish for supper tonight. It has been a couple weeks.:big_smile:

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I voted 10 also,( only if if will not live)To me channels,blues and bullheads etc... resemble one another in body structure( meat wise that is)give or take a few lbs of curse. But the Flathead is in a circle all by himself. Right from a fry he's a BaAD DUDE!. and just as mean then as he will be when he reachs adulthood.(If he makes it that long)a one of a kind fish you ask me.

The Flathead has such a small amout of meat (compared to others)on the along their back and tail section due to the oversized belly:eek:oooh: You guys know, Heck the blues and channels we catch make up for way more meat than the flathead would have us gain.IMHO with that being said I tell ya, They are the sliest,coolest,meanest looking of all catfish and I feel they just need to swim around so we can have fun catching them when they get bigger:wink:

LONG LIVE THE FLATHEAD!:big_smile:

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I voted 10lbs and along with alot of others if it is deep hooked it gets kept .Same goes for sub-legal bass/stripes .If it is gonna die I will chance the explanation to the warden show where it was hooked and let him decide if the warden has any morals he will understand if not I will have to pay the fine.

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You left off an option.

I don't eat them at all!
    (Not saying there's anything wrong with it, I just don't.)

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Can't say that I haven't tried eating about all the sizes an they were all tasty. Since I have grown to the BOC I fillet the channel cats now.

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i don't keep any cats!! they all go back to catch later! if i ate them though i would only keep 5lbs. and under!!

13. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I eat them all. I know some might think this irresponsible but there is little or no waste. I eat the belly meat and will even skin the head on a big one and make fish chowder out it.

There is nothing better than a fillet from abig cat. No bones and just doesnt get any better.

I got buddies who refuse to eat belly meat but cleaned right its the best part so i always get to gather them up and fill the freezer. Come fish fry time they cant even tell the differance.:wink::wink:

14. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I run set lines for a week or so in the spring as well as rod and reel fishing spring through fall. I keep a few fish off lines in the spring between 5 and 15lbs to eat. I like to catch all my eaters when the water is cool, clean, and running good in the spring. I put them in a cage in 5ft of water in the overflow of a cold spring fed pond and keep them for 3-5 days then clean and eat them. On eater fish I kill the flathead, then cut the tail off and let them hang and bleed for a few minutes before cleaning them, it really helps the flavor. I keep the belly meat and fillets so nothing is wasted. By doing this I only clean fish one day a year, and then it is catch and release before and after. I used to keep all the fish we caught that week for end of week pictures and then release them. I decided that wasn't the best idea, so now I take pictures right as I catch them and release them immediately. Eating fish in the 5 to 15 range makes sense to me, you can keep fewer because they produce lots of meat, and you are still not taking all the big ones. Between 3 of us we keep 20-30 cats in the spring and then release everything after that, and we catch them on 3-4 different creeks or rivers so we don't hurt the population anywhere.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i vote 15 pounds zack, all over that catch release, down here, unlessits the occasional 20, you know were i stand, in laks especaly,but rivers its up to you, and you cook em good

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant vote. You don't have a choice for the hundred pounders. That's all I eat and man is it good. That's why there are no hundred pound flats left, I ate them all! I'm work'n on the ninety pounders now. I just use lighter line and still have a heck of a battle getting them in......:cool2:

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The big ones are going to be here forever Billy, because of all the CPR guys......:wink:

18. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I voted to keep the bigg'ns, its the small ones we turn back, channel, blues and flats are great eating, and a big catch means fish fry for the family and friends. Good times. Here in Kansas they just opened the laws up to allow jugg'n and noodling, so apparently the fish and game experts feel theres sufficient numbers to support keeping them.

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ohhhh man this thread could hit the fan with the diehard cpr guys lol, look what use a stewd up coisen lol

20. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:
    To funny...

20 lb for me and have gone bigger but and they all eat good, but I like to let the big ones get, really big...:wink:
    Puddle